Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Full range + Subwoofer setup.  Criticism needed
Full range + Subwoofer setup.  Criticism needed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11th May 2017, 07:08 PM   #1
kyle321 is offline kyle321  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Full range + Subwoofer setup. Criticism needed

I'm considering a speaker system using one wide box with separate enclosures for two full range drivers and one sub.

This is only the second speaker system I've ever built, so, i'm still a bit green. I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice as to weather or not the following components would work well together. (included are their specs)


Any feedback/criticism is highly appreciated!
---------------------------------------------------


FULL-RANGE (2 Speakers-stereo)

• MODEL: Dayton Audio RS100-8 4" Reference Full-Range Driver
o RMS: 30 watts
o 8 ohms
o Freq. Response: 90 to 20,000
o Sensitivity: 84.6 dB 2.83V/1m
o Resonant freq.: 92.2 Hz

These two full-range drivers would be pushed by a 2x15 Watt 4 ohm amp.





WOOFER (1 mono speaker)

• Dayton Audio DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer
o RMS: 50 watts
o 8 ohms
o Freq. Response: 30 to 4,000
o Sensitivity: 86.1 dB 2.83V/1m
o Resonant freq.: 35.7 Hz

o Crossover: Low-pass 100Hz 8 ohm

This woofer would be pushed by a 1x30 Watt 4 ohm amp. It would also need its only level adjustment. (VOL pot)

---------------------------------------------------------------------


My questions:

-Would these speakers work well together?
-Is the crossover frequency selection a good one?
-Are the speaker watt and amp outputs OK for each other?
-Is there anything i'm missing here? haha..


Thanks in advance to any input!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 07:15 PM   #2
HumbleDeer is offline HumbleDeer  Belgium
diyAudio Member
 
HumbleDeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Bruges
Put your crossover frequency up a bit higher, like 180Hz maybe. Your 'full range' drivers will take less bass, which will improve the quality. Otherwise, it seems pretty okay. I would however beef up on the midhigh's amps. You're gonna clip the amps easily and that'll kill your killer system. If you're buying chinese boards, you should be especially careful. "2x200w" is usually only 2x25w :P

when hooking up the subwoofer's amp, use a resistor summing network to sum the bass off the two channels. It makes sure you don't get any bass lost. Some bass is actually directional. Depends on the mastering.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 07:32 PM   #3
kyle321 is offline kyle321  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleDeer View Post
Put your crossover frequency up a bit higher, like 180Hz maybe. Your 'full range' drivers will take less bass, which will improve the quality. Otherwise, it seems pretty okay. I would however beef up on the midhigh's amps. You're gonna clip the amps easily and that'll kill your killer system. If you're buying chinese boards, you should be especially careful. "2x200w" is usually only 2x25w :P

when hooking up the subwoofer's amp, use a resistor summing network to sum the bass off the two channels. It makes sure you don't get any bass lost. Some bass is actually directional. Depends on the mastering.

Thanks for the thoughtful response!

-As for raising the crossover, I guess that would be a good idea in order for the frequencies of FR and sub to overlap a bit?
-Do you think a 2x30 watt amp (sure electronics board) would be OK for those FR drivers? .. Or even more 'beef' ? hah

"Resistor summing network"
-This is a new term for me, so thanks for the heads up!
Would the following diagram work for this setup??

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.



Thanks!

Last edited by kyle321; 11th May 2017 at 08:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 08:37 PM   #4
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member
 
scottjoplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Penrhyndeudraeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle321 View Post
I'm considering a speaker system using one wide box with separate enclosures for two full range drivers and one sub.
Hi. I don't understand what you are planning....one, two or three boxes?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 08:53 PM   #5
kyle321 is offline kyle321  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Hi. I don't understand what you are planning....one, two or three boxes?
Yes, my words were vague here. Its simply one wide box (almost like a soundbar, but deeper). But, each speaker has its own chamber inside. So, the internal volumes will be separated for each speaker...

The entire unit will be off the ground and the sub-woofer would be facing down.

Last edited by kyle321; 11th May 2017 at 08:56 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 09:20 PM   #6
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member
 
scottjoplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Penrhyndeudraeth
Well, this is a novel approach.. I thought it might be something like a soundbar you were describing after reading your first post, but now I have even more questions . Like, size, and is it gunna have legs or dangle from the ceiling?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 09:28 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
kyle - to expand a bit on humbledeer's suggestion - the higher you can crossover the "subs", the lower the midrange distortion and higher attainable SPLs from the mid-range on up - to the limits of the FR driver - no majik there, just physics. However, if you go much higher than about 120, I'd generally suggest that a pair of stereo woofers would yield better results in terms of imaging.

Also keep in mind that often the most uniform performance at lowest frequencies is attained with the woofers in a different position than the mains. Nothing wrong with the idea of a sound-bar type enclosure for the FR drivers, but unless you're severely constrained in space, I think you'd get much more satisfactory results with at the least the woofer(s) - either just one or two - in stereo in separate cabinet(s)

The drivers you've listed should delivery very good results.
__________________
It’s been a slice kids
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 09:28 PM   #8
kyle321 is offline kyle321  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Well, this is a novel approach.. I thought it might be something like a soundbar you were describing after reading your first post, but now I have even more questions . Like, size, and is it gunna have legs or dangle from the ceiling?

It will be on steel legs about a few feet above the ground. The entire unit will be about 6"(height) x 18(depth) x 3' (width)

But, those dimensions don't necessarily represent the internal volume for each speaker, I was going to base that off of what each speaker spec. recommends.


The whole unit, sitting above ground on steel legs. Kind of like a table.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 09:38 PM   #9
kyle321 is offline kyle321  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
kyle - to expand a bit on humbledeer's suggestion - the higher you can crossover the "subs", the lower the midrange distortion and higher attainable SPLs from the mid-range on up - to the limits of the FR driver - no majik there, just physics. However, if you go much higher than about 120, I'd generally suggest that a pair of stereo woofers would yield better results in terms of imaging.

Also keep in mind that often the most uniform performance at lowest frequencies is attained with the woofers in a different position than the mains. Nothing wrong with the idea of a sound-bar type enclosure for the FR drivers, but unless you're severely constrained in space, I think you'd get much more satisfactory results with at the least the woofer(s) - either just one or two - in stereo in separate cabinet(s)

The drivers you've listed should delivery very good results.

Thanks for the info!

This is the type of crossover I had in mind for the sub... I was thinking that the full-range drivers would not have any crossover attached. Would that be ok?
https://www.parts-express.com/parts-...sover--266-446

As for the sub position, I was thinking of placing the sub firing downwards at the floor. The whole box-unit would be a few feet off the ground.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 09:39 PM   #10
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member
 
scottjoplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Penrhyndeudraeth
I think you should use an active xover like I suggested in your other thread
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Full range + Subwoofer setup.  Criticism neededHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS in Los Angeles, beefy subwoofer setup, H-frames, full-range drivers taloyd Swap Meet 16 7th August 2013 05:13 PM
Why not full range with a subwoofer? Ultralight Full Range 38 14th June 2011 11:18 PM
Full Range driver - 5.1 setup possible? penguinpoo Full Range 24 1st March 2011 09:58 PM
full range ht setup help kazoo Full Range 18 17th November 2007 04:19 AM
Advice on full range enclosure for 5.1 setup CDJ Multi-Way 3 21st January 2003 06:28 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:13 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2021 diyAudio
Wiki