Interesting speaker outriggers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Marra, thanks for posting this here.

Scottjoplin, yes they are adjustable in the same way that spikes normally are, in that the spikes are threaded into an encapsulated insert in the outrigger.

For those who are interested I am running a sort of group buy for these and I have posted this thread in the GB room

In the bits and bobs thread over in 2 channel room at the WigWam a user posted about his Frugel horns, I was rather taken by the little outriggers he had used.

I've since spoken to the manufacturer and have priced up importing a box to the UK. I'd like to get some for myself to keep in stock for my own customers but a few folk in the thread had mentioned wanting a set. For me to bring over a whole box I'd need to get confirmed pre sales on at least a few pairs first so thought it would be worth a thread to see who might like a set? They would be £27.00 a set or 4 plus postage to UK/EU at cost). Subsequent pricing would be £30 a set via the website.

If you'd like a set, pop along to the google sheet and register your interest and when I've got a few I'll proceed.

The outriggers are made from high gloss ABS plastic and attach to the bottom of the speaker via a wood screw, although some may find they do line up with the holes on the bottom of your speakers for the existing spikes.

Here is an image of the out riggers them selves.

outriggers.jpg

And the image lordmortlock posted on the wam

199C2735-9227-4B40-8BE3-73BE8C25F2E5_zpsc65y7u81.jpeg

Stefan

The ones he's speaking of were from Parts Express - but clearly of Chinese origin. We definitely had at least one of the plastic assemblies break - either from over torquing the install screw, or excess weight / clumsy handling - I can't remember.

It'd be nice to find a source for a cast metal bracket like on Totem's Hawks and others, or the really nice machined plates and knurled feet / spikes on Paradigm's Prestige series. It's little details like that, and a tasteful metal or home-made fabric grille attached with magnets that can turn a pedestrian looking DIY project into so much more.

The material is black, abs plastic and the spike element is chromes plated brass.

The spike system will lift your cabinet 2" off the floor.
The Outrigger spike system includes:
Black ABS plastic housing – base 36mm x 53mm x 65mm high
Chrome plated spike – 1" high
Chrome plated floor disk – to protect hardwood floors.
Attaches to cabinet with 2 x #8×3/4" wood screws

All I've got before we actually get them in hand.

Stefan

I've sent everyone a request for details via PM on their home forums, if you signed up to the list and haven't had a PM please do get in touch with me.

I have received contact details from all but 3 of the members who have signed up, of all those who have sent details have received an invoice and some have already paid. It would be good to get this sorted for everyone as soon as possible and as soon as I've got most of the payments in I'll order the required amount of outriggers.

Stefan

I bought a bunch of these when PE had them on closeout. Fill the void with 2 part epoxy & it strengthens them quite a bit. If you don't want to go that far, at least use a thick washer to stabilize it somewhat. By themselves, they weren't meant to move around.

Hi all, I'm having to refund these paypal payments, you should all have a refund in your paypal accounts already. The manufacturer has contacted me to say they won't have a production run ready before the 30 day PayPal refund window that as a consumer they grant you. I don't want any of you guys to be in a position where you feel you've not got your outriggers and also you've not got recourse to PayPal for a refund. I of course could have made a refund after that date but didn't want you to feel that you didn't have the option to use the PayPal resolution service.

I have obviously paid out for these outriggers to the manufacturer so now I have have refunded everyone I'm a bit out of pocket. When these finally do get shipped I'll be contacting you all again via e-mail and this thread and hopefully you'll all still want to get your sets.

Stefan.

I'm still not really having that much success with the manufacturer of these outriggers and have started to think about getting my own KJF Audio ones made instead and am getting price for that as we speak.

I wanted users to have the option of using their existing spike threads in their speaker bases to attach these outriggers, that way they can be used by a lot more people who don't want to use the standard wood screws to attach them. To do that though I need to make a list of peoples current spike positions from the edge of their speaker cabinets so I can come up with a design that works for as many people as possible. so could my fiends at the forum please get tape measures out and measure from cabinet edge and report back here what that measurement is and what speaker you are using. Many many thanks, hopefully I can get another useful product to market.

Stefan

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Our approach attached (sorry for the inches — made in the USA). For max versatility it would need users to drill and tap holes for their own spikes. We choose to do M6 to match the PE DSS4-x spikes. Designed for FH3 but work fine on FHXL and a number of other boxes. We usually just put felt pads near the ends.

dave

Attachments

• outriggers.PDF
    49.5 KB · Views: 89
I've made things like that in the past Dave and they are certainly stable, I really like the style of these independent outriggers though, they can be made to look quite stylish I think and with a little ingenuity I reckon I can get them made so that they fit the majority of existing floor standing speakers with no drilling of extra holes. Certainly people seem to like this style as I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of people who wanted a set when I started this thread and just cant get the manufacturer to make a large enough batch to send me.

Stefan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.