I want to get naughty with a pair of full-range speakers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. First I want to say thanks for the responses I'd had. It's been help and a good learning curve for me.

I'm going to dismiss the car audio speaker idea. I want to have an enclosed speaker system and i think car audio gear would most probably work better for OB than for a t-line, as I've tried a few times before but with .. disappointing results THB.

I am intrigued by the suggestion of the Wild Burro Betsy-K drvier, and sent off an email yesterday requesting a quote about shipping to the UK. I wait with baited breath Wild Burro Audio Labs - Fullrange Speakers - The Betsy & Betsy-K Drivers

But, i'm narrowing it down to a pair of Mark's probably a 6" driver, little above my budget, but hey ho, and the Tang Band W5-2143. The TB has a little more xmax, but i'm sure that's something I can work with.

As I live in the UK, if i go for the TB's then i'll have to wait for the next batch pf stock to come in. I would buy from parts-express, which funnily enough is the slightly cheaper option, but i've been stung too many times by a custom inspection the last time for a few pair of headphones and the charge was £56 if i remember rightly. ouch!! Couple that with the possibility that if anything goes wrong, shipping them back to the U.S. will probably cost as much as the driver itself, and i think for this, i'll have to politely pass on PE.

I'll give Wild Burro a few days to respond, however, with the Marks being shipped from the UK, it might be the best option.

If the build is anything to 'write home about' then I'll post some pics etc. But the concept enclosure i probably won't for fear of incurring the wrath of the DIY community, as it might look something like this:eek:

sdc10342.jpg

Thanks once again, and I'll keep you updated.

Matt

Matt, I'm in the same boat. Been tossing around the same drivers in my head. I think I'm going with the Betsy's. The actual driver of the MA's is quite small. There is a large surrounding area of frame. I just feel the Betsys will do the bass better and work with a sub easier
Oh FYI, Wild Burro is away from home with his real job. Due to return on the 27th.

Matt, I'm in the same boat. Been tossing around the same drivers in my head. I think I'm going with the Betsy's. The actual driver of the MA's is quite small. There is a large surrounding area of frame. I just feel the Betsys will do the bass better and work with a sub easier
Oh FYI, Wild Burro is away from home with his real job. Due to return on the 27th.

I've been looking at the CHN-70 £35 (pair) .... two pairs ... hmmmm, nice!
CHN-70 Paper (pair) | KJF Audio

Then I see the Alpair 10P £85 and the dual CHN's become a bit more attractive. 4 pair @ $35 would still be cheaper than a pair of Alpair 10's ...

My only concern with Wild Burro is getting stung by customs, but i'll give it 'til the weekend to decided. But at the end of the day, the Monitor Audio BX2's have to go!

The other thing is; i'm now leaning toward near field and not sure if i need a room filling 95dB set up. Of course i can monitor the volume control .. ah ..... so many choices. But at least i now know of Wild Burro. Could be a 'buy and try' project for another day.

Last edited:
matt - I've heard almost every driver that Mark has designed since the EL70 - in a wide range of enclosure types, and you should be aware that the CHN70 has a particular flavor that is not to everyone's taste.

Sorry if I've not caught this in this thread - where are you located? Shipping / exchange and other expenses can add surprises to your final landed costs.

I'd opine that a single pair of A10.3s at Madisound's current price of $85USD ea is still a bargoon, and there are numerous excellent and field proven designs for them that would meet your criteria of being a TL or hybrid thereof design. I'm thinking specifically of Scott Lindgren's Pensils, and Bob Brines' M10A10. If your budget can afford it, I think you could do far worse in your first foray into the field of full-range drivers.

The MA shop in the UK i've been looking at is this Markaudio Drivers | KJF Audio

In terms of shipping to the UK, madisound is a more expensive way to go, and add to this the possibility of getting caught with a customs charge would be a distinct cost disadvantage, however i appropriate the advice.

My .... motives for this project aren't entirely pure:devilr: For me it's always been the music, not the equipment. But of course it's a viscous circle because to enjoy music, one has to hear it. But the more pernicious side of me is the flood of YouTube videos of great equipment playing music that frankly isn't for me!!! :smash: And when I see music that I listen to being played through such speakers, it's usually followed by many, what I consider to be, ignorant comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX4kVf5KbOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19XJYirvOfg

In the future, i wish to put up videos of the likes of the Mark Audio's, Fostex, TB's with the music I like ..... in the hope that it will annoy a few audiophiles :devilr::devilr::devilr:

OK, so while their selling price on the A10s (P or .3) is above your initial budget limit, if you're within affordable travel distance, you might want to invest the shoe leather in a trip to hear them - or finding a DIYer even closer to your location.

Nothing like putting your a$$ in a seat and hearing a system for yourself .

matt,

An idea - you can build the cabinet like two of narrowish boxes laying flat on their sides? (externally they will look like one cabinet)

Few designs you can consider:

Slim Classic GR:

http://www.frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/CGR-dMar-Ken73-190216.pdf

http://www.frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/CGR-dCHR-Ken-301113.pdf

Folded half-tower: http://www.frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/microTower-maps-020615.pdf

Please note: two designs shared above are tuned for use with the CHR-70/70.2 drivers. For newer drivers they might need slight changes.

For 3" drivers like the Alpair 6.x that Chris suggested you can check out the following:

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Woden-BabyLabs-081015.pdf

Last edited:
Some good ideas there, thanks. The main problem i foresee are:

1) One speaker being nearer to the throat and the other being put near of at the fold of the line, and the various complexities that might bring.

3) The other is stereo separation in relation to how far apart the drivers are.

it's 20:54 here in the UK, i'm just gonna grab some dinner then i'll be back:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.