Full range recomendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody,

I will be traveling next week to USA and I was thinking that this is a good opportunity to buy a good pair of full range speakers. I already have a 2 way speakers using pro drivers and I'm finishing a second set similar to the popular Econowave.

I live in Argentina, and it's difficult (and expensive) to get something decent here. Now we can buy stuff from internet outside Argentina, but shipping and taxes are too expensive and customs in Argentina are not so trustworthy.

I wanted to buy a 4~5 inches speaker in the price range of the Fostex FX120, up to U$s300 per pair.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-fullrange/fostex-fx120-5-full-range/

This Fostex driver is one of my options, but I wanted to see if there are better options. I want a flat and wideband speaker that works well from arround 80 or 90 hz in a relatively compact BR box.

Thanks in advanced.

Iván

+1 to giantstairs' suggestion

I've heard both, and the Fostex is a gorgeously made piece, and sounds nice enough, but even at normal pricing I'd take the A10.3 - and as long as Madisound honors that $85 ea price, it's a no-brainer - IMHO

I find the full benefit from the Alpair's excellent LF response is acheived in something larger than a compact BR, but proven examples of smaller boxes for them abound.

My vote goes for the fx120. Upon hearing it in a Front ported box for the first time. It was a kit that madsound offered years ago. Also it's a little smaller but a very nicely built drivers are the Fostex fe108ez drivers. A step up from the reg. Fe line. Now on Mark audio. I had a pair years ago but, they never warmed up to me so I sold it to a friend who was going to use them. I hope you find what your looking for? Good luck Jeff

Another good one at lower cost ($52 plus ship.) is Tang band w5-2143...but I suspect the Alpair 10 which I haven't heard has better bass judging from the freq. response chart. I like the sensitivity of the W5, however needs a step filter or boost in bass controls on the amp driving them.

Mike - indeed- considering the various models and incarnations over the past almost 10(?) years, while I like some more than others ( e.g. MAOP7 :) ) there've only been probably two that I couldn't fall in love with - and those were mostly due to the larger enclosure sizes needed to "squeeze my lemon" , as Robert Johnson would say (certainly more subtly than Jimmy Page) ;).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.