Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tang-Band W5-2143 5" Full-range
Tang-Band W5-2143 5" Full-range
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2017, 07:17 AM   #1
JoeHollis is offline JoeHollis  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Tang-Band W5-2143 5" Full-range

Hello,

I am helping a friend renovate a basement room for a home theatre. I am going to help him build his own surround speakers to save some money. I have seen a few comments on the above 5" speaker. Would this be a good choice for the surround speakers? Neither of us know anything about designing speakers or crossovers. He wants to put speakers in the ceiling as well for Dolby Atmos I think.

Thank you for your help.

Joe H.
Old 21st January 2017, 12:16 PM   #2
majerjack is offline majerjack  United States
diyAudio Member

First, the disclaimers: I have no experience with home theater. I am strictly a two-channel listener to music. In addition, I am not as experienced with full range speakers as some members on this forum. I offer my opinions based on my experience and my personal preferences.

The Tang Band W5-2143 is the best full range speaker I have heard. It presents excellent sound on all the material I have played through it, offers illuminating detail, and has very good response off axis. I found the sound to be very consistent at both low and high volume levels, never sounding strained or congested. Its one weakness is bass response: due to the cone size and limited Xmax it does not produce much bass, but that is easily remedied by incorporating a supporting woofer. I like this speaker so much that I am making it the centerpiece of a total reconstruction of my home listening system.

For home theater use as surround speakers I think it would be ideal. You won't depend upon it for bass (you will have the mains and subwoofer for that) and it will sound good on all material at all listening positions. It will prove easy for any amplifier to drive and has good sensitivity (90dB 1W/1m). I think you picked a winner.
Old 21st January 2017, 01:57 PM   #3
revelator is offline revelator  United States
diyAudio Member

If I may add...depending on room size of course....the W5 would also make an excellent center channel....I like the sensitivity and clear dialogue capability of the driver. I assume they will excel at surround duties...Yes

As always YMMV....
Old 21st January 2017, 11:04 PM   #4
JoeHollis is offline JoeHollis  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for your comments.

I will suggest these speakers to my friend. They are available here, and I can make Baltic Birch plywood boxes for them using the free box software that many seem to use and like.

Regards,

Joe H.
Old 28th January 2017, 03:41 AM   #5
DYNABLASTERTUNERS is offline DYNABLASTERTUNERS  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Majerjack I'm wondering how it can have good off axis response, because the cone shape is the same as the polypropilene version, and they beam like mad in HF, if you move your head out of the sweet spot there is no more magic that they produce like no other, btw. I have bought the white ones but not tried yet, just tried one no baffle in hand to hear if it's good, and it is!
Old 29th January 2017, 11:25 AM   #6
sqftw is offline sqftw  Australia
diyAudio Member

Beaming is generally a function of cone size. Cone shape, dust cap design, and surround can improve it slightly. Judging by the deep cone, flat plug, and standard half roll surround I would say these would have about average off axis response for a 5 incher.
Old 29th January 2017, 07:22 PM   #7
majerjack is offline majerjack  United States
diyAudio Member

In regard to off-axis response:

I judged this by listening only, not with a microphone of any kind. I can not hear anything above the low teens kHz in frequency response, so if the 2143 beams above that, which I assume it does, I can not detect it.

Theory suggests that with a cone diameter of almost 11cm the 2143 should begin to beam just above 3 kHz. I listened to it at about 15 degrees off axis and it sound the same to me as on axis. It may be that the recording to which I was listening (the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper") did not have much content at frequencies above 3 kHz, it may be that the phase plug helps with off-axis response, and it may be both. All I can truthfully say is that it sounded the same to me at 15 degrees off axis as it did on axis, and that the sound was very good indeed in my opinion.

To me the TB W5-1611 sounds more muted in the high frequencies by comparison, and it does not sound as good off axis as on axis. It seems to present a better frequency response the louder you play it (a Fletcher-Munson effect?). The 2143 at higher volume sings just as sweetly as at low volume.

In any case, I think the OP could do much, much worse than to use the 2143 in a HT application. For myself, I prefer to listen on axis at close range, so the off-axis question concerns me much less than it might do others.
Old 30th January 2017, 12:04 AM   #8
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

I thought that too, that a deep cone has worse dispersion.

I'd like to try this driver some day.
Old 30th January 2017, 06:21 AM   #9
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

Majerjack, how far away do you sit ?
Old 30th January 2017, 12:41 PM   #10
sqftw is offline sqftw  Australia
diyAudio Member

Most full range speakers are designed to be listed to slightly off axis, say 15 degrees. If you listen to them on axis they have rising response above 3-5k, so that they have flat response when slightly off axis. You can try this yourself by listening to them completely on axis, you will notice it is very trebly. Its usually around to 30 degree point where it falls off sharply.

I have listed to and measured full range speakers extensively in car audio for midrange in a 3 way system. They tend to sound best for music like the beatles that have very little high frequency and little midbass. However, to my ears I prefer a properly integrated tweeter.

Tang-Band W5-2143 5" Full-rangeHide this!Advertise here!