Another buyout woofer....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll probably not indulge myself but as I have had some success with the AT8030 buyout woofer, I thought I'd post a link to a more current one.

https://www.parts-express.com/hp-8030-8-poly-cone-woofer-with-rubber-surround-8-ohm--299-2128

Low FS, low QTS woofer. Not a lot of XMAX but if like the AT8030, they don't complain if given a lot more excursion.

Modelled in Transmission Line, they seem to hold on better at the low end, though flat tuning levels seem to indicate 40hz should be the limit.

These things will look butt-ugly. They are meant for rear mounting into PA cabinets or similar. Probably best to design a superbaffle or similar to ease mounting and avoid having to view the surround.

In my case, the AT8030 is paired with a Vifa TC9FD18-08. Cabinets are around 40 litres. I used Charlie Laub's ACDf filters in ALSA (linux) to sort out levels, baffle step and crossover.

J.

Regarding the ugly factor.... It's not so much the cone and dust cap as the foam surround and un-polished pressed frame with excess glue on it that detracts.

Maybe there's a fashion for Rat-speakering? so I can distress the rest of the cab to match the woofers.

"Rat-speakering"

i'm in !
as an old soundman i'm partial to distrissed looking gear that sounds awesome.
i'm tired of the whole WAF thing.
if it looks like it got dragged home on a chain by a pickup, but makes the grade sound wise it can have a home with me.
sorry for the mini rant.

at that price i wonder how they would do in a midbass horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.