Looking for a medium footprint ~6" driver back loaded horn design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I searched before posting.

A friend of mine has finally come around to the glory of single driver speakers, after a session with my old Dallas II speakers (fe206e)

He's after something a bit smaller though- preferably 6 inch-ish, with the cabinet scaled down to suit. 6/8th of a Dallas II gives a footprint of 337x237mm.

What are some options? He's probably gonna get it CNC cut, so complexity isn't a big deal (although curves are probably not possible)

Thanks!

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, smaller horn = less bass and if one scaled a given horn, then the driver's T/S specs would need to be shifted as required for it to perform properly since its design gain BW will be shifted higher up in frequency.

IOW, making the driver smaller doesn't necessarily mean a smaller horn and based on its specs could easily require a significantly larger one.

GM

Only a few of those words meant anything to me to be honest

It's a good point though that I shouldn't be looking at a horn based off driver size. Really I should be looking at a horn that fits the specified footprint and then use whatever driver it calls for.

We just figured that 6" is a good size and we'd find a horn for that- but that's really putting the horse before the cart

I was looking at that one too! looks awesome. Unfortunately we're now stuck in the situation of not being able to do angle cuts which frankly rules out just about all horn designs.

With that in mind, the factory recommended cabinet design for the fe166en is probably the top choice. It's probably not as good as most hobbyist designs, but at least all of the cuts are 90 degrees. I'm not seeing any other designs with only 90 degree cuts

Attachments

• Posaune_70115_Totale.JPG
    Posaune_70115_Totale.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 123
  • kangling horn innen1web.jpg
    kangling horn innen1web.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 130
  • kangling front6web.jpg
    kangling front6web.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Posaune_innen2_klein linberg.jpg
    Posaune_innen2_klein linberg.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 127
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.