cabinet resonance vs speaker frequency range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I am still trying to comprehend something.

As far as I understand:

1. It is a common approach, that the tunning of a cabinet is set lower than the resonance frequency of a speaker to extend the bass end (ported design)

2. It is obvious, that the speaker resonance frequency is higher than the speaker's low end freq. range given by manufacturer.
Not possible that they match.

3. I don't really know how manufacturers define the freq. range of a speaker: a range where we have not more than +-3db?

4. Lets say I have a 10'' whizzer, 55hz low end of the freq. range by specs
- Is there any point to aim at 20Hz box tunning (ported box)?

ps. The whizzer is rated 55hz - 5k... It seems very low for the highs....Really 5kHz or specs mistake...? :D.

Kind regards

Last edited:
1. Tuning is usually fairly close to resonance (+/- 30%)

2. They might match, depends on answer 3

3. There is no standard (could be +/- 3, or 10 or 20dB) and the frequency range is usually meaningless unless they also define how it is specified, as in your example of +/- 3dB

4. probably not - use (or measure) the woofer parameters to design an appropriate box.

More or less what Ron wrote above.

As far as I understand:

1. It is a common approach, that the tunning of a cabinet is set lower than the resonance frequency of a speaker to extend the bass end (ported design)

Yup. But not invariable. It depends on the driver and the objectives of the cabinet design & its alignment.

2. It is obvious, that the speaker resonance frequency is higher than the speaker's low end freq. range given by manufacturer.

That is not always the case, so not actually obvious.

Not possible that they match.

It can be very possible that they match, if you tune Fb = F0 (or Fs if you prefer). That used to be common / standard practice, and still can be under specific conditions.

3. I don't really know how manufacturers define the freq. range of a speaker: a range where we have not more than +-3db?

There is no industry standard. Manufacturers can more or less claim whatever they want, unless they have also stated specific criteria.

4. Lets say I have a 10'' whizzer, 55hz low end of the freq. range by specs
- Is there any point to aim at 20Hz box tunning (ported box)?

Depends on the specifics of the driver, although in most cases it's unlikely. Without knowing anything else about it (other than it's a 10in unit with a sub-cone) and assuming you can't measure them, then you'd need to revert to a traditional type of vented box alignment, so a ~6ft^3 enclosure tuned to the stated 55Hz F0 free air resonant frequency of the driver, and either damped via the old click test or similar until there is no obvious / audible ringing.

ps. The whizzer is rated 55hz - 5k... It seems very low for the highs....Really 5kHz or specs mistake...? :D.

I've never heard of a whizzer cone that is rated from anything, let alone 55Hz. The entire driver might be rated that however. Assuming current production, it sounds like a PA / pro-audio unit intended for something like bass guitar monitoring or similar.

Traditional vent alignment and 6 cubic feets, 10 inch....??????
I could not find so far some base rules, as woofer inches to box volume.

Visually designing and drawing the box, it became something slightly over 1 cubic foot. Most pleasing to eye and fitting in the room

You probably wouldn't, unless you researched pre Thiele / Small cabinet alignments. T/S alignments allow you to get the most extension out of the smallest bulk (that's their main advantage, along with a decent degree of predictability). However, that doesn't automatically mean a small box. For example, a standard maximally flat T/S box alignment for the Audio Nirvana Super 10 AlNiCo is just short of 17 cubic feet, with an Fb of about 26Hz. A traditional (pre T/S) alignment for a similar tuning and driver size would be 24 cubic feet, assuming the vent CSA is held constant.

I have no data for the speaker to calc a proper box size.

Looking at other speakers specs, it is not impossible that a 10'' woofer is fitted into 30L box (bit more than 1ft3), but the recommended settings is that it is tuned at almost 50hz.

Actually, most of the designs for 1ft3 involve 8'' speakers, some of them allowing box to be tuned at 32 hz.

For most of the 10'' seems that they need at least 2ft3 for ported design, better 3ft3 (and these are really compact options :D)

Is there ANY benefit of having a larger diameter in a small box?
I don't think I will like the sound of a sealed box, too tight.
I have 8'' whizzers in a ported small box (25L), wanted to try 10'' now.

A friend of mine uses 12'' wizzer woofers from the 60-ties in a small box, we just put a port on the bottom of the box and there was some improwement. Box size is for sure less than 2ft3, rather 1 ft3...
It is for sure not linear, there were boomy bass at some points before and after putting port, but I like how these speaker's sound fill the room and offer dynamics when music is not loud.
Two x 12'' in a 120 sq feet room.. So I want to have sound in a 250 sq feet room (not squared but), and it is like I don't want to go under 10''
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

At least I think that with larger diameters the room is fool of ambient sound, there is depth and bass, still the sound level does not obsruct having a conversation in the same room.

Btw, the distance from the port to the floor is... half the diameter :D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.