Free Pair of Alpair 10.3M in 10.3m Pensils

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Copper / Gold color drivers. Cabinets are 3/4" Baltic Birch unfinished, Pensil 10.3. Back is attached on cleats. System is fully complete and wired, fully operational. I will be keeping the existing speaker binding posts, but will optionally sell a set (2 pair) of binding posts for $8 if the new owner wants.

Shipping is not an option, local pick-up only, by arrangement.

I live in the St. Louis, MO area in southern Illinois near I-64.

No strings attached. Price is right. Pick them up.

Copper / Gold color drivers. Cabinets are 3/4" Baltic Birch unfinished, Pensil 10.3. Back is attached on cleats. System is fully complete and wired, fully operational. I will be keeping the existing speaker binding posts, but will optionally sell a set (2 pair) of binding posts for $8 if the new owner wants.

Shipping is not an option, local pick-up only, by arrangement.

I live in the St. Louis, MO area in southern Illinois near I-64.

No strings attached. Price is right. Pick them up.

I guess it is too late for me, because I am in St. Louis.

Greetings fellow rangers. To answer some private messages.... Yes, the Pensils are still available with the A10.3Ms installed. Note that the drives are only available installed in the cabinets. At this price ($0,000.00) I am not going to 1) remove the drivers from the boxes, 2) ship anything anywhere, 3) have someone get the drivers without taking the cabinets, 4) hook up my rather complex system to the speakers for an audition. It's all or nothing except for the binding posts.

At last use, everything worked as reported, designed and predicted.

So.... It's take the complete package (I could use the room) or not. They are one of five pairs of speakers in my basement.

mudihan,

Just a few points that I failed to provide as we were trying to stay dry in the rain....

I recommend using the same speaker wire inside the cabinet. It's quite good.

I suggest getting different nuts for the biding posts. The ones that come with the posts I gave you often fail before adequately tightening the posts in place.

The speakers have not been used for years. I would go through a complete breaking process as if they were new drivers. Soft music for the first 100 hours with very little bass, then gradually increase the level and the bass over the next 300 hours.

The wool felt cabinet lining works good to reduce internal reflection. You will have to add loose stuffing above the internal brace to tune the bass to your liking.

No refunds of any of the $0,000.00 paid for these speakers. ;-)

Good luck and please post your thoughts and results on this forum.

Best to you,

Bill

I built a pair of Pencils with the 10.3 drivers a few years ago and can honestly say - you lucky bugger.

The only thing you want to check at some point is the stuffing - I found that it provides some level of adjustment of the type of bass sound and to my surprise it also affected the imaging (there was a trade off between them) - it may also be room dependent.

Imaging and soundstage were not the issue for me with the 10.3 Pensils. Tonal balance was good in both directions with nice bass extension. Dynamics, large scale and micro, quite good.

I'm using a big multi-way system but could easily switch to a nearfield full-range single-driver system if that issue were corrected. Might try a 10P in a Pensil to see if it has the same problems for me.

Imaging and soundstage were not the issue for me with the 10.3 Pensils. Tonal balance was good in both directions with nice bass extension. Dynamics, large scale and micro, quite good.

I'm using a big multi-way system but could easily switch to a nearfield full-range single-driver system if that issue were corrected.

You didn't say what the issue was.

jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.