Fostex's new Fe103 Sol 8 50th anniversary Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just got the 8ohm version(the bass is fuller than 16ohm version for my existing BLH in simulation)

VERY live, open sounding driver. It even made my Fountek ribbon monitor sounds dull. Up tilted sound, voice a little bit too dry, but nevertheless very interesting/eye opening experiences. The sound reminds me of a STAX headphone system, not quite balanced, but always caught your attention!

I have many fullrange drivers, Alpair6p, A10p, A10.3, A7.3, FF85WK, FE83en, and some less famous one. I have to say this is among the most live sounding driver. FE83en is also "live", but with far less sparkle and is congested in the midrange(but warmer). FF85WK have very nice highend, but is darker and cooler than the SOL in my memory. This is probably as bright as A10.3

Hi racingpht,

Do you notice differences in dispersion between the SOL and your other drivers? To me, the 103 seems to have the widest dispersion (and an uncanny "realism" which occasionally freaks people out). I like the other drivers on your list and they are all excellent, but for some reason, I keep using the 103 (even though it's not perfect).

Hi racingpht,

Do you notice differences in dispersion between the SOL and your other drivers? To me, the 103 seems to have the widest dispersion (and an uncanny "realism" which occasionally freaks people out).

Hi rjbond3rd, do you mean original 103EN or the SOL? I don't have the regular version.

I listened to this driver off axis about 10-15 degrees, and I never feel I have to(or should?) listen on-axis. I guess this driver have more treble power response than average full-range drivers, for example I prefer listen to FF85WK on-axis.

I like your description about "realism" ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just off the breal-in bench

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• FE103En-Sol.jpg
    FE103En-Sol.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2,087
Well, a test might be how they are selling to the domestic Japanese audio tweaker "collector" market?

There are "collectors" as in "gee honey, haven't you collected more gear than you can actually listen to at any one time" - of course the answer to that is a sheepish, "yes, dear, but not as many shoes / scarves, etc as I see in your closet? :eek:"

- then there's the obsessive completists "I must have pair(s) of every model, hermetically sealed in original packaging - but why would I want to actually use them? -that would despoil their value?" :D

I exaggerate of course, and there's probably a gradual continuum between those two.

Just got the 8ohm version(the bass is fuller than 16ohm version for my existing BLH in simulation)

VERY live, open sounding driver. It even made my Fountek ribbon monitor sounds dull. Up tilted sound, voice a little bit too dry, but nevertheless very interesting/eye opening experiences. The sound reminds me of a STAX headphone system, not quite balanced, but always caught your attention!

I have many fullrange drivers, Alpair6p, A10p, A10.3, A7.3, FF85WK, FE83en, and some less famous one. I have to say this is among the most live sounding driver. FE83en is also "live", but with far less sparkle and is congested in the midrange(but warmer). FF85WK have very nice highend, but is darker and cooler than the SOL in my memory. This is probably as bright as A10.3

Thanks for posting your impressions. A few questions: What cabinets are you running them in? And, are you using bass support? Also, update us on how it sounds after a few months of use. Thanks.

Thanks for the review hope someone performs a similar review on the Markaudio new paper 4" driver, CHP 7P, a comparison between the the two would be even better.
Both are similarly priced. Good for consumers so many full rangers to choose from.

Actually, what you want is a 10-15* off-axis FR plot. It is unlikely that you will use these on axis, but toe'd in or out. I like my A7.3's and A10.3's toe'd out 15*.

BTW, my A7P's are still a week or so away from critical listening. Current impression is very good low level detail, but still a bit too bright. I report back later.

Bob

Thanks for posting your impressions. A few questions: What cabinets are you running them in? And, are you using bass support? Also, update us on how it sounds after a few months of use. Thanks.

A small BLH turned at 60hz or so similar to this
20060514164234.jpg

I run them full-range. With corner loading it has some useful output at 45hz, but overall it's bass shy. Some EQ would be useful.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That's not the actual picture of my enclosure, just a very similar one. The tunnel is about 1.5m long.

How big is the mouth. Floor loaded the mouth, if untruncated, should have a perimeter of approximately 1/2 the w/l of the cutoff

~60hz valley between two peaks can be seem in the impedance curve. "tuned" is probably not a precise word for such enclosure, but anyway that's what I feel :)

A characteristic of the underdamped TL that it more closely reembles.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.