Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BLH/TL Build for Dayton RS100-4
BLH/TL Build for Dayton RS100-4
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Harderror is offline Harderror  United States
diyAudio Member

Default BLH/TL Build for Dayton RS100-4

Hello all!
I haven't been around in a while but the speaker building and design bug is always there. Anyone interested in a public build, open source small BLH/TL for the Dayton RS100-4? I just purchased a pair and spent some time working within a few parameters that I have decided I need in a small driver point source build. The build must meet the following:
1. Easy to build (less than 20 pieces and no complex angles).
2. Cheap to build if desired by the average builder.
3. I am not trying to cover so much of the spectrum as many (including myself in the past) have. I don't really want the unit to go below 55-60 Hz as I want to be able to play fairly complex music and might even high pass the speaker so as to allow for higher volume with lower distortion or more complexity with lower distortion.
4. I want it to be compact.
5. Above all sound quality will be king. I don't want to use too many "room tricks" to gain what I have set out to build. I want the mouth fairly close to the driver so they merge more effectively.
6. Will use an independently powered sub of some sort for the real low material so keeping the horn and TL working within the limits of the driver are a reality.

I attached a Sketchup rendering of what I have so far and would absolutely love if others wanted to build with me so we can all work on whats right, wrong and could be better. Leave a message in this thread if you want to take a shot at it. I'll draw up the full plans and post them here for all to use. Any input from Martin, Dave, Scott, GM, Chris or anyone else with advanced knowledge of what I am working with is always welcome! Now for a couple of specs on the enclosure I have drawn up so far.

-760 Hz mouth
-50 Hz flare
-55Hz TL length
-F3 of 55 Hz or so

Martin, I will be over on your page within a week or so to pay for firing up the worksheets again.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Harderror; 13th December 2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Posting the cutsheet!
Old 11th December 2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Go for it Tom, looks an interesting project.

Without extra details, I can't offer much (I could fake up something similar, but that wouldn't be a whole lot of use ), other than to say I like the nominal excess of LF gain under 1/2 space conditions, so you won't have any issues with step loss; upper corner looks reasonably low & should come nicely into line with some damping. Either way, looks solid to me based on what's shown thus far. They'll need to be angled back somewhat, or put on a low stand given the relatively modest height

Last edited by Scottmoose; 11th December 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11th December 2013, 09:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Scott! Good to see you responded!

Now, as for the details, I will get them up as soon as I amass the drawings and information. Unlike my other builds this one I am going to just release everything. All the information regarding sims and building materials etc. I'll put together one of my plan pamphlets with all the information and get it up here. The bug has been scratching in my brain for a long time but my teaching always took precedence therefore I've been fairly paralyzed as far as building and designing over the last few years. I resigned from my position at the university a couple of weeks ago and decided to make my way in the world as an actual working artist (instead of a teaching artist that never works on his art). My wife and I decided it was practical to do so now so I will be spending most of my time on that but being a sculptor I will be in my studio all the time and will be able to squeeze in my love of loudspeakers as well. I am giving myself a year to see if I can manage this new path in life. If I haven't made significant strides towards living as a showing artist then back to teaching for me. That said, I have been dying for a project like this. I want the spirit of open source and the community of speaker builders to come together over a build like this. I hope this will be the one we all do that on.
Talk to you soon!
Old 11th December 2013, 09:55 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

Hi,

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Horns/Back_Horn.pdf

And more sensibly :

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Horns/BL...gn_Article.pdf

I completely disagree with the premise of (5.), its very wrong.
They cannot merge due to path length differences ever and
consequently the second MJK article IMO is the business.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 11th December 2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11th December 2013, 10:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sreten, I am well aware of the issues of line length difference as well as phase differentiation. You are still dealing with the effective merging of the signal insofar as your ears and brain will believe they have merged. Martin has been my guide through all of my education on the subject and this design is no different. I used his theory and practices during this process and my design should effectively deal with or at least minimize the problems we are aware of. In my experience, front mouth is far superior to rear mouth for sound quality. As I can't even begin to ask the horn to provide much below 780 Hz, I decided that the front placement would fight step loss far more effectively as well. In addition, by not asking the driver to perform too low in the frequency range I will gain clarity and lack of distortion while allowing a dedicated unit to manage those pesky low notes.

Tom
Old 11th December 2013, 10:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Streten, I just read that latest article (The last one) and I was blown away. I really do need the new sheets. My designs are always of my own folding and simulation so it should be interesting to see if the software actually laying out the internals is a superior method.

Tom
Old 12th December 2013, 07:31 AM   #7
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

harderror,
if you use a active sub you can go smaller, you need a satellite down to 100 Hz,
look my FLUTE for example.
Flute
Old 12th December 2013, 01:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default BLH/TL Build for Dayton RS100-4

That's a good suggestion but I want them to also function somewhat full range for near field or desktop use. That way if I. Don't want to fire up the subs, I can still listen and be satisfied. That flute looks cool by the way! I am going to try to get those plans drawn up today after I'm done with my studio time. I need to hit the hardware store this morning too so I'll grab some wood. Maybe I'll be able to start a set this weekend.

I think for the prototype I'll use MDF. I know, I don't like it either but it's cheap and easily sourced.

Tom
Old 12th December 2013, 02:49 PM   #9
BeauB is offline BeauB
diyAudio Member

I will build the design once the ink has dried a bit - although it may not be until February.
Old 12th December 2013, 03:27 PM   #10
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Why not just use foam core boards then? What was once old is yet new again, so search this forum and check out all the cool designs from Karlsons to spiral horns folks are gluing up.

GM

BLH/TL Build for Dayton RS100-4Hide this!Advertise here!