Missing some 'highs' using the Alpair CHR-70 gen 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm using the Alpair CHR-70 in a (very simple) two way setup, and looking for a warm and gentle sound (but also pretty allround).
After listening for a couple of hours the last few days I'm quite satisfied and sometimes pretty impressed too.
However I'm missing a touch of highs for my taste and doubt if this will get noticeably better after the recommended running-in period of 100 hours?!
Could the Alpair 7 gen 3 provide noticable better highs? .. reason I'm asking, the Alpair 7's are quite more expensive.

-

Alpair CHR-70 Champagne Gen3
Closed cabinet ~3.7 Liter
Frequency starting from ~300Hz (first order)

Monacor SPH-250KE
Closed cabinet ~100 Liter
Frequency ending at ~600Hz (first order)

Attachments

• test-opstelling.jpg
    test-opstelling.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 601
Even after extensive careful break-in, these drivers will likely always exhibit some shyness above 10K . It's a delicate balance engineering all the suggestions for "improvements" from customer's feedback, and I think that's what happened with this one.

Perhaps the CHR70s? From my own listening, there's no question the Alpair 7 is superior in all respects, but at certainly a higher price.

zman01,

There's not much space for damping in this little enclosure.
Except for the baffle, leadbitumen at all sides and from the back half of the enclosure loosely filled with dr bailey's long hair.
I didn't measured thus don't know from where I'm missing the HF 'exactly'.
I've build a compact set of 'fullrange' speakers in the past using CSS FR125SR drivers, however these needed a tweeter from ~10K upwards.

I am very satisfied with my pair of Alpair 7.3s. They have about 500 hours on them maybe more. No lack of detail and hf extension. The only drawback to them is that they lack a little dynamic range when run full range. I plan to use then in a two way "FAST" system crossing as low as I can get away with and still have the dynamic range I need to accurately reproduce classical music in relative near-field.

My chr 70.3 are too bright, I measured almost +15 db spike on 13k. I currently have eq:ed it ,but i am putting a notch filter. On the datasheet the spike didnt look nearly as bad as it is. Mayby there is differences between drivers (both mine measured the same).

Attachments

• CHR-70.3.jpg
    CHR-70.3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 511
Depends to an extent on the equipment used, but it sounds about right & agrees with the manufacturer data sheet. It looks more dramatic in your plot because you're only showing about 40dB dynamic range; the manufacturer data sheet (like most) has a far wider dynamic range / scale.

Attachments

• Graph comparison.png
    Graph comparison.png
    458.5 KB · Views: 474
Osmo,

I knew the woofer could get in the way icw the CHR's, however I love dry bass too.
As you've suggested the coils for the 'woofers' are changed, I've used some spare parts to go from ~600Hz to ~300Hz x-over.
For now this was/is the 'golden' tip!!! .. I'm very impressed of the sound at the moment .. THANKS Osmo!!!

Since no one else has bothered, I think Chris misread your set up and was talking about the CHP 70 being shy on top. Witness his recommendation to think about the CHR70 (i.e your driver).

The CHR70 gen 3 have never been accused of being shy in the top octave.

Nothing personal, but are you sure its the driver and not your hearing? Also a little EQ can go a long way.

chrisb,

Thanks ... I was a bit 'afraid' for this, the figures promising better using the Alpair 7's however glad to hear you've experienced better results using the Alpairs 7!

Since no one else has bothered, I think Chris misread your set up and was talking about the CHP 70 being shy on top. Witness his recommendation to think about the CHR70 (i.e your driver).

The CHR70 gen 3 have never been accused of being shy in the top octave.

Nothing personal, but are you sure its the driver and not your hearing? Also a little EQ can go a long way.

exactly correct on all points - I've not spent a lot of time with any version of the CHRs, and while in my opinion they don't equal the A7.3 or even the A6Ms in the upper mids/top end ( of which I have both) , neither are they (CHRs) shy

I'm using the Alpair CHR-70 in a (very simple) two way setup, and looking for a warm and gentle sound (but also pretty allround).
After listening for a couple of hours the last few days I'm quite satisfied and sometimes pretty impressed too.
However I'm missing a touch of highs for my taste and doubt if this will get noticeably better after the recommended running-in period of 100 hours?!
Could the Alpair 7 gen 3 provide noticable better highs? .. reason I'm asking, the Alpair 7's are quite more expensive.

Alpair CHR-70 Champagne Gen3
Closed cabinet ~3.7 Liter
Frequency starting from ~300Hz (first order)

Monacor SPH-250KE
Closed cabinet ~100 Liter
Frequency ending at ~600Hz (first order)

Hello Sprong,
I'm gradually catching up with most thread traffic over the next week before flying to N. America.

Re the high range from the CHR-70, especially in its 3.7 Litre closed box; the one thing I'm certain of, is the driver won't be short of output in the high bands. This driver is considered by several members as a little too good (hot) in its high range output. You should take a look at your system and/or crossover design at some point. Or depending on your age, you will be experiencing hearing challenges over 15kHz.

Frequency output from the current CHR model is close to 25kHz while the current Alpair 7 extends close to 30kHz. Both drivers exceed typical outputs from many tweeters.

Thanks
Mark.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.