Alpair 10.3 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share a little preview of an Alpair 10.3 build. This is a set of speakers designed by my father and I. Alpairs 10.3s should arrive tomorrow and I am thrilled to hear to them.

Cabinets are 24 liter bass reflex desings with Shedua carcasses and currly birch baffles.

Once things are up and running I will post more details regarding the build.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1978.JPG
    IMG_1978.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,049
Last edited:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share a little preview of an Alpair 10.3 build. This is a set of speakers designed by my father and I. Alpairs 10.3s should arrive tomorrow and I am thrilled to hear to them.

Cabinets are 24 liter bass reflex desings with Shedua carcasses and currly birch baffles.

Once things are up and running I will post more details regarding the build.

Cheers.

Hello Robert,
Cabinets look great! Nice dovetail joints. I'm hunting air tickets, hoping to visit Halifax around 3rd week Sept. Could I drop in to say "hello" and listen to your set-up?
Cheers
Mark.

Hello Robert,
Cabinets look great! Nice dovetail joints. I'm hunting air tickets, hoping to visit Halifax around 3rd week Sept. Could I drop in to say "hello" and listen to your set-up?
Cheers
Mark.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for compliments, we are pretty happy with how they are turning out. It would great to meet you when your visiting our corner of the world. I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info and we can arrange a meet when you make it over.

Cheers

Just a quick update regarding the build. The front baffles are cut and the cabinets are just about ready for glue and clamps.

The Alpair 10's have about 20 hours play time on them so far and sounding quite good. They actually sound pretty similar to the 7.3's when not in boxes (If my memory serves me correctly!)

The pictures attached do the curly ash baffles no justice! The finish should fix that up and hopefully I'll grab some better pictures once these are done.

Attachments

• DSC_2639.JPG
    DSC_2639.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 761
  • DSC_2646.JPG
    DSC_2646.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 727
any thoughts

I am in the final stages of this build and was considering using a product i have been using in the workshop for a few years,since my boxes are 3/4" solid hardwood/tops/bottoms and sides with veneered front rear baffles approx 15/16" thick, i have hi friction rubber mat approx 1/8" thick with a adhesive back and was considering lining the box particularly the solid to deaden or dampen any vibration/ resonance i do also have 1 central horizontal brace in a sliding dovetail
any thoughts on the rubber Paul Burchell Woodworking

It depends at what frequency the panels are resonating at, once the bracing is accounted for. Assuming it's well above the box operating region, you shouldn't need much, since there isn't much energy available to excite them, and what there is can be quite easily damped out with fairly small amounts of material. Lining the whole thing would probably be overkill. If you want to experiment, get a mechanic's stethoscope & listen to the panels, then add small amounts where there's an obvious mode.

Beautiful work BTW. What Fb have you gone with?

Trying to take the overkill route with panel damping can actually have some negative effects. The problem there is that what is often thought of as overkill actually isn't sufficient (or anything like) to produce the intended results. For example, if you start with a fairly high panel Fs & then add large amounts of material with the intention of trying to attenuate this, you run the risk of lowering the panel resonance down to a frequency region where there's more energy available to excite it. So it actually ends up having the opposite effect to that intended. Perverse, but not unknown. Ergo, carefully done, modest quantities will typically produce superior results in the majority of situations.

Fb = box tuning frequency

Last edited:
OK i guess i will stick to the building and let my son handle that stuff, originally if memory serves my correct we where going to put a false bottom to make the volume less ', then he said we did not have to and tune to 40 ?maybe instead of 38 does that sound about right
the internal size= 8"wide x9"deep x 22.5tall

Last edited:
If those are the internal dimensions (1620in^3), that's more like a 26.5 litre box, although about 1 of those litres will be lost through the volume the driver takes up, mounting hardware, brace etc. ~25.5 litres to 38Hz or 40Hz is technically / on paper a bit over-sized, but LF alignments are heavily affected by the room, so ultimately, if it works for you (as it evidently does) that's what really counts. :)

Last edited:
The build is finally complete and now i am in the market for more gear, this may not be the right thread but since i am using the alpair 10.3m drivers i will ask anyway. I looked at 2 different uses amps on kijiji and was looking for advise if these are good mates for the speakers
rotel rb-850 amp & rc870bx pre amp or a denon avr-3300 receiver
thanks paul

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.