Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

TB 1808 plus H-frame
TB 1808 plus H-frame
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TB 1808 plus H-frame

I have been enjoying the the TB 1808 on open baffle sitting on top of H-frames. This is a revealing speaker with a forward midrangy sound that's open and detailed. Overall I am very pleased with them. The super tweeter has a cap value of .69uf and nicely blends with the 1808. If you like your vocals pushed forward and intimate you will love this driver. It's fatter in the mids than the Fostex 165k and 168s (older style with whizzer) and less bright on top. The 1808 has detail galore. On open baffle there is a jump to the music that adds a life to the overall presentation. Imaging is excellent, very 3D. This is my current favorite full range driver but it does favor mids. I think it works very well all by itself in a ported box (soft at the extremes) but I enjoy the H-frames so much i can't seem to get enough of them. For a while anyway, i expect to keep the H-frames for bass duty and play around with drivers on open baffle.

Zilla
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1808+Boomer.jpg (85.2 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg 1808+H-frame.jpg (55.0 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg 1808+supertweeter.jpg (39.1 KB, 542 views)
Old 26th October 2010, 09:01 PM   #2
bigfishe is offline bigfishe  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Zilla,
Those look super and ez to build
Tell me,what subs and tweets
Old 27th October 2010, 02:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks bigfishe, those are old Radio Shack super tweeters i had sitting in a box for the past several years. I thought they would suit the purpose and they do. I have another pair of them facing backwards on a pair of BIBs too. The woofers are Eminence Alpha 15's in H-frames powered by a dedicated amp. The whole thing gels nicely providing very involving sound. I built something to sit on the H-frames so that i can swap baffles in the future easily. For now the TB's get their turn. Separation and imaging are very precise. Left and right are beyond the walls and center is dead in the middle. Not sure if it's the drivers or the open baffle setup but the imaging is really impressive. I have Pioneer B20s, Betsy's, a few Fostex and those inexpensive Dayton 5" drivers i want to make baffles for just to see how well open baffle works with less expensive drivers.
Old 27th October 2010, 03:06 PM   #4
bigfishe is offline bigfishe  United States
diyAudio Member

Lovin it Zilla,I have the same tweets from the 80s
And would like to try the whole OB thing
Do you think the Pyle pro 21" sub work in OB or H frame?
Part # 21250
Old 27th October 2010, 04:25 PM   #5
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nice Jeff

Do you still use your 18'' Goldwood H-Frames for anything ?
Old 27th October 2010, 05:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I never had the pleasure of listening to the 18" Goldwoods and don't own them. But having two 15" woofers in my system for a while i understand why big drivers are better at making bass. As for the Pyle 21", i could not find specs on it (no qts anyway) but would be pretty certain they make bass in any kind of enclosure. I can't imagine having two 21" drivers in anything but the largest rooms.

As cool as this full range driver thing can be (great mids, less listening fatigue, etc.) I think BASS also contributes in a big way when i sneak into the basement for a listen.
Old 27th October 2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Vix is offline Vix  France
diyAudio Member

Nice work Jeff!

It will be interesting to hear how different fullrangers perform on Open baffle without spending a fortune. It will be interesting to test smaller fullrangers (3-4") compared to 8". Tb-1808 might need a dip in the midrange, or a hi-pass crossover may need to be set a tad higher. Nevertheless, it's a big playground and may keep you entertained for a while.
Old 27th October 2010, 06:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

>>> It will be interesting to hear how different fullrangers perform on Open baffle without spending a fortune.

I have the Fostex 127e, TB Bamboo 4" and Dayton 5" full range drivers. I wish they had the same hole cutout bc i want to compare them. Cheaper drivers may benefit greatly on open baffle when bass duties are placed somewhere else. Imaging quality is different on open baffle compared to box speakers. What doesn't work in a box may work great on ob... no worries of low frequency tuning or box colorations... just a driver free to breathe. State of the art may require expensive drivers for that last bit of realism but cheaper stuff may be very enjoyable. I'd love a cheap open baffle system that sounds wonderful! It's like owning a nice VW and not having to worry about dings in the parking lot.
Old 27th October 2010, 06:38 PM   #9
motosapien is offline motosapien  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd like to hear a set up like that some time. Nice work.
Old 27th October 2010, 07:35 PM   #10
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry, I had thought for sure you built the GW 18's and that's what got me on board with them.. Now whom did I go and confuse you with lol.. Me thinks age may be taking it's toll on my otherwise previous lethargic condition anyways

Last edited by DaveCan; 27th October 2010 at 07:38 PM.

TB 1808 plus H-frameHide this!Advertise here!