Alpair 10 Full Range Drivers -- Where to buy in the US?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Argh. So after weeks / months researching drivers and speaker designs, finding something functional for my living room and aesthetically pleasing for my wife, I settled on the Pensil 10 using Mark Audio Alpair 10 full range drivers.

My friends and I are building them together. Maybe we got a little carried away, but we already made the cuts for a pair of the Pensil 10s. Really nice baltic birch wood. And then I went to order the drivers from Meniscus Audio. No stock! Mark at Mark Audio is apparently completely rebuilding them in his new facilities.

Is there any other place I can buy a pair of full range Alpair 10 drivers? If not, will the new ones have the same specs / work in the same enclosure? Or are there any other drivers I can use in place of the Mark Audio drivers with the Pensil 10 design?

Thanks for any help ... I'm new to the world of DIY speakers! Obviously. :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Alpair 10s have been scarce for awhile. The new ones will require at least subtle reworking of boxes. In the existing boxes they will have a little less midbass punch. They probably won't be available until early November.

I have a set of Alpair10eN i'd part with. Also check with Solen & with Creative Sound.

dave

Dave, how much reworking? We've only cut the outer panels -- haven't put anything together yet.

How much for the Alpair10eNs? I'm a little scared to hear the answer :) I'm trying to keep the price somewhat realistic as I will probably pair it with a relatively inexpensive integrated amplifier (<$500 street price).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jerikl,

I missed your reply. For pricing please send me an email.

Mark hasn't sent out the actual production data for the new A10.2.

The production prototypes i have fit right into our Mar-Ken10 and sound really good. I am temped to slightly increase the size of the port spacers in this design.

We'll have no word from Scott on Pensils, the MegaLiths, or the British Autos until data arrives.

If there are changes in the Pensils they will likely be very minimal.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.