2001 Space Odyssey BiBs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any sonic benefit to mounting the driver on the wide side of the box rather than the narrow side?

Does a wider baffle sound better? Reduce baffle step?

If so, what about the back wave hitting a parallel wall as opposed to the slanted baffle? Will this cause reflections through the speaker?

I think I am finally going to get to build some BiBs and planning on 8" Fostex units. How do I decide between the 206 and 207?

Big thanks to all of you who have contributed to the DIY/FullRange community.

-Andy

ajh said:
Is there any sonic benefit to mounting the driver on the wide side of the box rather than the narrow side?

That wasn't a consideration.

Does a wider baffle sound better?

No such thing as 'better.' Different, yes.

Reduce baffle step?

It should push it low enough for it to blend into the room's / horn's gain BW, but it's rarely an issue with these enclosures anyway.

If so, what about the back wave hitting a parallel wall as opposed to the slanted baffle? Will this cause reflections through the speaker?

It should be lined, so that shouldn't be an issue whichever configuration you go with.

I think I am finally going to get to build some BiBs and planning on 8" Fostex units. How do I decide between the 206 and 207?

Inclination. The 206 gets up higher by itself, but has some midband peaking. The 207 is a little flatter & rolls off earlier, so if you want the extreme top end, you'll need a supertweeter.

Are you going to build the 2001 BIB?

>>> Does a wider baffle sound better?

I played with wings a little bit and find the lower midrange sounds different, maybe fuller... maybe more muffled, with a wider baffle. I am using the Fostex 165k. Results may be different with other drivers. IMO wings are not needed but fun to play around with if you're curious.

>>> How do I decide between the 206 and 207?

Good question. I never heard either but understand the 206e sounds brighter. I know people who have used both in BIBs and always seem to really love them. I would be inclined to add a super tweeter on the 207e... which is the one i would choose if it were me. I would choose the 207e because i think it is a more flexible driver to use in other box types than the 206e and i have a tendency to swap drivers around.

Keep us posted on your BIB!

Godzilla

>>>Are you going to build the 2001 BIB?

I'm not sure. I thought that I had read some opinions that wider baffles were better in some respects - I think in relation to Pawo?

Anyway, I might do it just to be different but I am a little worried about the "fuller/muddier" impression.

Are you still taking pics for your site Godzilla?

Thanks for your direct and helpful responses guys. Not sure when I'll get started, but the sooner the better.

-Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.