In-wall full range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Due to space constraints, I need to put drivers into a wall, and I need some advice to get started. Here are my preferences and constraints:

Music tastes are mostly acoustic and voice (i.e., not lots of SPL and fairly narrow frequency range), and imaging/sound stage is important. I would trade away some high-end response for better bass.

The room is about 15 feet deep, 12 feet wide, and 8 feet high. The stereo speakers would be near the corners along the 12-ft wall, wich is exterior. I plan on using a Pass F3 or perhaps a 300B. (Neither are built yet)

The max. enclosure space is 3.44 cuft (97.3 litres) measuring 5.5 in. deep, 22.5 in. wide, and 48 in. high. The boundaries are 1.5 in-thick douglas fir studs on the sides, and 5/8" thick plywood glued to the studs backed by 2 " thick expanded polystyrene foam and then 1"- thick fir siding. The front is still open, so lots of flexibility there. It roughly has the proportions of a Mileva or Dimetri.

Is there a full-range driver that will work in such an enclosure (or smaller if need be) with baffles or a port?

I would rather avoid Lowther-level prices, but if that's what it takes I could go there. I want good sound, and will keep this set-up for a long time.

If I need to use modeling I could do this with some guideance, and would be a "guinea pig example" if there's interest. There is not much on the DIY site for in-wall designs.

Any help would be appreciated.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It is certainly doable. You lose any ability to toe in (so a smaller driver that is less sensitive to that should work better in the imaging department). You will have no bafflestep.

We did up a set of slighly modified Fonken floor standers for a customer in CO to build into the walls & ceiling for his surrounds. He compromised in that he drywalled right over the boxes, if you can leave the boes flush to the wall it would probably be better.

Demetri at 9+ inches is a bit deep for your application, Mileva would work a treat.

You want to build the basic box and play with it to determine which set of studs you want to imbed it in, and how high (and whether it is port up or port down).

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.