About the Visaton BG 20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm planning to build a pair of push-pull speakers using the Visaton BG 20 speakers (two for each enclosure). I think they are the perfect candidates. Although worse than the B200 full-range, they are lots cheaper, what makes them the perfect candidates. Thus they make cheaper Hi-Fi system. What do you think?

Should I wire them in parallel or in series? I think that when wired in parallel the result is better, since the impedance of one wont affect the other, promoting electrical symmetry and making a much better error correction.

Hi,

For the money they're good. I use them in similar configuration to yours (not push-pull, though). Wire them parallel and add 1,5 mH inductor in series with one so that frequencies above ~1 kHz are reproduced only by one driver - reduces comb filtering and smooths the rising response above 1 kHz. Enclosure is 60 liters bassreflex tuned to 45 Hz. Goes down to ~40...50 Hz, though need some boost around 80 Hz. In smallish rooms they'll go louder than tolerable and sound quite nice (though they have quite high harmonic distortion from ~300 Hz to a few kHz or so - not audible with music whatsoever (only with sinewaves), actually I think that this distortion gives them somewhat this "oldschool" warm fullranger sound).

technofreak said:
Wire them parallel and add 1,5 mH inductor in series with one so that frequencies above ~1 kHz are reproduced only by one driver - reduces comb filtering and smooths the rising response above 1 kHz.
Wouldn't that be undesirable in a push-pull configuration? I mean, above 1KHz there is no error compensation at all, since only one driver is playing. The push-pull configuration aims to lower distortion caused in a situation of a similar single driver. The drivers counteract in order to correct the errors of each other.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.