Aperto cabinet design for Hemp FR8C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been struggling with a decision for my first speaker project. I finished putting together the k-502 Tube amp kit from Antique Electronic Supply. Since it is only an 8 watts and is my first speaker (and tube amp) project I wanted something fairly simple and inexpensive to build. I listen to mostly rock and need some bass to the speaker. From what I have read on previous posts the Hemp FR8C has more bass than the Fostex does. Anyway the Hemp website has a bookshelf speaker design that looks like it would work well for me but the port is in the back.
http://www.hempacoustics.com/kits.php (Aperto design)
Is there a problem with moving the port to the front since I will have to place the speakers close to a wall? I know that I will loose some bass by not building a bigger cabinet but the the way the room is laid out I would have trouble putting the speakers on the floor. The room is about 13' x 17'. Buy the way this is great sight and have enjoyed many hours browsing.

Thanks
Robert

I think the FR8C would be a great speaker for you. Moving the port to the front will pose no problem. If you can stand a bigger bookshelf than the Aperto, you'll reap benefits. If the maximum dimensions you can tolerate/place exceed the Aperto in volume, you can play around with speaker calculation programs (folks here can help too) and get the correct port size. When you think about dimensions, I'd recommend the biggest (widest) baffle you can tolerate. I had my Hemps in a bigger (but still not floor standing) vented box for awhile. I found that getting it pretty close to the wall (and the wide-ish baffles I used) greatly help the midbass if you aren't going to use baffle step compensation.

While you're in the planning stages, think about budgeting for nice plywood (like Baltic Birch). It sounds good, is nicer to work with than MDF, needs a little less bracing and finishes decently with little effort.

Finally, I think the Hemps in a bookshelf and you're little amp will sound great. However, don't expect to acheive anything close to concert level SPL's with a fullrange bass reflex and 8 wpc. If you want something loud and efficient, you'll need to look at a much bigger cabinet (like a back horn or BIB). I just offer this as you listed your main listening preference as rock. Most of the time I listen around 85-88 db, and the Hemp BR had no trouble with that.

pj

Aperto

is a good design. I use the Hemp Acoustics FR8c drivers in a 20 litre box.

No deep bass, but very ncie sounding. Haven't measured, but I think -3dB in the 40ish Hz range.

It moves right along. I think if you need more bass, a BIB or similar may be required.

edit: did a quick model to verify the design. In my case, I get -3dB at 42 Hz, with a rear facing vent. When I get set up for measurements, then I can verify.

Attachments

• fr8c-19.4litres.jpg
    fr8c-19.4litres.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 805
I did an MLTL with this driver for a friend on another board a week back, if this is any interest. Not being able to drive a CAD programme to save my life, I modified one of MJKs drawings (hope you don't mind Martin). The depth dimension hasn't come out too well: it should read 14in (all dimensions internal).

Attachments

• ha mltl.gif
    ha mltl.gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 921
Now those are some quick responses. I thought it would take a couple of days at least.

pjanda1 - I'll have seen several references to the speaker applications that you mentioned and will spend some time on scaling up the speakers as much as I can now that I know I can put the port in the front. When I jumped into this DIY audio thing I figured out I would start out small and work my way up (the reason for the 8 watt PP amp inexpensive kit). I'm glad you mentioned the Baltic Birch, I was leaning in that direction.

Nanook - I read your reviews on the Hemps and Fonkens a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with both articles. Your reviews set me down the Hemp FR8C road and gave me a starting point after many hours of browsing the forums. The Apeto is so well documented on the Hemp site it gives me a good base to start with.

Thanks to both of you for the info. Finally I will be able to get started!

reviews...

Yes, I do write for
Affordable$$Audio , I'm stew nelless

I spent quite a bit of time with the Fonkens and am completely impressed with them. I'm also impressed at the reasonnable amount of money the modded drivers from planet10 -hifi are.
The FR8c are mine own, and I had since had mr planet10 himself do some surgery to them (not sanctioned by Hemp Acoustics, nor approved). I feel there is an improvement to the drivers themselves.

I am happy that you found the articles helpfull, I never really know if anyone reads mystuff because it can get preachy ("from the puilpit"), and I am pretty opinionated.

Scottmoose - Thanks for the design. I measured the space I have and I just can't get a speaker that tall into the space I have. For now I think I am going to have to lose some bass and use a smaller enclosure. The problem is that I have a projection TV taking up 1/3 of the wall and a fireplace and built in bookshelf taking up the rest. The room is far from ideal. I have been remodeling so I am planning on building a bigger enclosure in the future and moving everything to another room.

Thanks
Robert

please don't use any mdf!

'cause it has more carcinogens than pretty much any other wood product (the formaldehyde), and MDF sounds dead too!

If you already have a bunch of MDF about, use it but please only for temporary enclosures, and please wear appropriate breathing aparatus, or work in a well ventilated area. MDF also off gases for some time, so if any in your home suffer from asthma or alergies or toxin hypersensitivity please don't use it at all.

If building speakers is worth the effort, then building them with baltic birch ply or apple ply is worth the money spent.

Thanks for checking that there Scottmoose, and the drawing Dave. I think I will be trying this speaker for my main system.

Nanook, I am aware of the problems with mdf and usually take the general precautions with it, but I was unaware of the off gasing problem. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Re: Aperto

Nanook said:
is a good design. I use the Hemp Acoustics FR8c drivers in a 20 litre box.

No deep bass, but very ncie sounding. Haven't measured, but I think -3dB in the 40ish Hz range.

It moves right along. I think if you need more bass, a BIB or similar may be required.

edit: did a quick model to verify the design. In my case, I get -3dB at 42 Hz, with a rear facing vent. When I get set up for measurements, then I can verify.

Hi,

-3db in the 40's in a 20L box tuned to 42 Hz ?
-3dB @ 40Hz is no deep bass ?

I must be missing something ......

:)/sreten.

Attachments

• guff.jpg
    guff.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 449
Check out the specs too, of these drivers. With a Qts of .41 , they are almost ideally suited to a ported
enclosure. I had asked Perry a little about his choices and beliefs. One comment that stuck out was
that many full rangers require complicated enclosure to work well. He simply wanted to provide a full
range driver that could be put into an enclosure that most normal humans could build, or to allow a
cabinet retrofit to occur. He had suggested an enclosure of 20 litres or so. I just so happen to have a
pretty well built pair of enclosures, that I thought would fit the bill. Tuned to 42 Hz as per Perry's
recommendation,I stuffed the drivers into the boxes. Later Perry had indicated that he thought I
should remove some of the Dacron used in the enclosures as dampening material, which I did.

Perhaps its the above from the review that is confusing me ........

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.