126/127 Phase Plugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I understand that there has been varying levels of success with installing phase plugs in the 126e's, and I have a question. Is it possible to inject some material in there (I dont know what, epoxy?) to act as a phase plug, but with out all the hassles of destroying a perfectly good driver.

I ask this question to know whether it'll work, but mostly because I'd like to understand how phase plugs work, and what characteristics make good ones vs, the other kind.

Simple answer is no. Also, I feel that explanations of the why and how of phase plugs is inadequate. I touch on this problem briefly in my AudioXpress article on modifying the TB W3-881S (not to be confused with its replacement, the 881SD) transducer. I go into more detail in my second patent application I filed last year. This patent application is not scheduled for publication until December of this year.

The plugs I am now designing based upon this new theory are looking completely different from anything that exists now.

Now, for me, here is the most important point of my reply. The major sound problems with the Fostex 126/127 are not caused by the dome dust cap. Nor can these problems be corrected by any plug replacement of the dust cap. Replacing the dust cap with some type of plug will make the 126/127 sound slightly different, it will not be better.

Best wishes on your quest for better sound,

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.