Unknown 3" drivers - Can you do anything with 'em?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unknown 3" drivers - Can you do anything with 'em?

I've got a pair of three inch drivers of unknown specifications it says

"JB
1113-490
4 ohm 5W"

on the back.

I happen to know that they come from a bass reflex speaker

I have limited knowledge when it comes to speaker design but i would like to build something with them (since i got them for free), is there any "universial" design that could work?

Thanks in advance, Zeeall

Pics coming shortly!

(Sorry for my bad english)

Here are the pics!

I think the drivers might come from computer speakers. They are probably "crap" but it could be fun to try to build something with them

Attachments

• unknown_drivers_small.jpg
    unknown_drivers_small.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 509
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Zeeall said:
I just thought it would be fun to build my own speakers instead of buying them, but since they are from computer speakers i will probably not do anything with them (unless you got some good idea).

In that case your best bet is a smallish ~2 liter sealed or aperiodic enclosure. The drivers can be tweaked (after you get them in cabinets) which will give a good feel for what that does.

You can build cabs out of wood, or get cretaive with a found object... i've always thot these were an object waiting for an application

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...94*15696&storeId=3&catalogId=10103&langId=-15
IKEA | Home | Decoration | Bowls, dishes & vases | Bowls & dishes | BLANDA bowls series

17677_PE101994_S4.jpg

2 of these larger ones in a sphere would be just about the right volume,

Ceramic pots, coffee cans, go crazy...

dave

The guy that gave me the drivers managed to find the cabinets for them, they are made from 2-3mm thick(thin? lol) plastic, bass reflex design.
if i made bass reflex cabinets in the same size (same size as in same interior cc) out of, say 12mm mdf, would it sound better? (i assume so since the original cabinets are fairly flimsy). how can i measure the size of the original cabinets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.