Search Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hey David,

If this is a new issue, it might be related to the search related issues which caused me to switch of search for the next 24 hours. Was this a change in how it worked for you compared to previously? What were you expecting to see, and what did you see?

What were you expecting to see, and what did you see?

Hi Jason,

Normally I just type in the search word(s), click the 'Show Posts' option button, press Enter on my keyboard, and the diyAudio search results appear in a matter of seconds. Yesterday when I did this nothing happened - no results appeared even after waiting for several minutes.

Presumably it is directly related to the other problems you have been dealing with recently.

Kind regards,

David

Joined 2000
Paid Member
The issues with search have been advertised at the top level, front page of the forum, and linked to from the search button itself. Please see this thread for more information:

Search will be disabled for the next 24 hours

It is being actively worked on. Yes, I'm very well aware that having search disabled is a pain in the ***, however to be fair the MySQL full text search this forum uses sucks, has always sucked, and Google's search does a much better job, IMO. Nonetheless, the plan is not to keep search disabled, it's to find the best solution for the short term (the medium to long term solution is to move the forum to XenForo and Elasticsearch, resources are being corralled at the moment to make that happen).

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I have been running servers and forums for years. (If you haven't tried it) disable public search. Bots/DOS and malicious scrpt kiddies use this to bring servers to their knees. Often, you can just take the public off the search rights and carry on.
JT

Thanks for your wise words. The issue I have found is unrelated to public searching, though public searching would definitely exacerbate the problem.

Do we ignore stuff posted here? If you ask for details it would be nice to have a follow up. Also, having the search disabled is a major pain in the ****... any resolution?

JT

I asked David for details and posted a reply. If you are asking if I ignored your suggestion, no, it was not ignored, it was taken on board as a suggestion, I just didn't reply to it.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
The 'Search Forums - Show Posts' functionality does not appear to be working at the moment.

'Search Forums - Show Threads' works fine.

Please see my notes here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/site-announcements/362603-search-disabled-24-hours.html

Searches were locking up the whole forum. I can confirm the "Search Forums - Show Threads" now works. I just did a search for a relatively common term "company", and it returned 33 pages of results (I've set a maximum of 500 to be returned) in 153 seconds. Previously the whole forum would be locked up during that time, now it chugs along just fine.

If you do perform a big search, please wait for it to return the results. It might take several minutes. At least now your search will not impact the rest of the server.

The ridiculousness of having to wait several minutes for search results is not lost on me. We'll be moving to XenForo and a suitable search mechanism, probably ElasticSearch, as quickly as possible.

I have been running servers and forums for years. (If you haven't tried it) disable public search. Bots/DOS and malicious scrpt kiddies use this to bring servers to their knees. Often, you can just take the public off the search rights and carry on.

JT

Thanks for the suggestion JT. I have disabled search for non-logged in members, as even though searches now do not lock up the whole forum, they are taxing on the server and a makes it vulnerable to DOSing. I think it's fair enough to allocate the server resources to logged in members, and public visitors always have Google at their disposal.

Jason - thank you for bringing back the search function to logged in members. I actually missed it. And a huge thanks for this excellent forum.

For me it's just a hobby, but checking the forum has become part of my daily lifestyle now. Is there something wrong with me? Am I obsessed?

Joined 2000
Paid Member
There is nothing that makes me more excited and happy to be working on diyAudio than hearing stories about how it has enriched people's lives around the world.

Thank you for sharing :)

One of my favourite sayings is "Show me a man with a project, and I'll show you a happy man". The site was created with the intention of being, and it's still in the logo itself - "Projects by fanatics, for fanatics". Helping people to have projects is a good thing, I think :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.