Multi-Quote This Message Button

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Well spotted :).

Obviously not what was intended...

It absolutely is what was intended :) and it was done to stop the very thing I have just done here.

Have a read at the rules (which incidentally have been this way for a long time) and the part that says:

The following are not hard rules, but guidelines to make the forum a better place.

3. Don't quote the entire post just above yours.

:)

A welcome, but partial, solution.

Some members apparently can't make the effort to quote selectively and clutter the thread with an entire previous post.

Crucially, this is not always the last one in line, but an earlier one.

In my opinion, the guideline should be made a hard rule.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's not a rule because the software leads people to use the Quote button instead of the Reply button. It's not a good design, and the membership can't be blamed for that.

We have made the change to help prevent the rampant quoting of the entire post just above. So far it has worked pretty well. The education of the membership will continue and we hope for the best. ;)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Pano> the rampant quoting of the entire post

Back >20 years ago I was taught to quote-back "one line".

On real computers, deleting huge chunks of text is quick and easy.

On thumb-screens, selecting and deleting is incredibly frustrating. I can understand why folks don't do that.

I think people with real interest will use real interfaces, not postage stamps and fat fingers. But I'm a boomer, old and in the way.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Back >20 years ago I was taught to quote-back "one line".
Yes that is good practice and keeps a thread uncluttered while still being clear about what you are replying to. But if it's a one line post, you don't really need to repeat it.

Sadly, too many people here don't use the Quote function very well, and make a lot of work for the mod crew cleaning up the place.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have found a teeny buglet which can't be worth fixing, so just FYI:

If I Reply or Quote, and post, I get a "Quote" button on MY message (last in the thread).

But if I refresh the page, now I lose that my/Last quote button and the thread buttons are as described up-thread.

I suspect the "hide quote button" function is not in the planned place in the sequence of actions. I also can't see much harm, since it can only be seen once.

EDIT: ah, I see you have been working on bug code. This observation was made ~~12:40AM Maine/Florida time, after your remark about "bug".

Attachments

• buglet-42.gif
    buglet-42.gif
    33.3 KB · Views: 90
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The last post in a thread makes sense, not the last post on each page of a thread.

Post #13 would suggest otherwise...

I rest my case :).

Thanks Scott, David...

Yes indeed, it was taking away the quote from just the last post that was intended. Jason has worked his magic on the bug fixing for that one. Thanks :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.