Problem accessing diyAudio after latest W10 Upgrade/Install

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yesterday saw the much anticipated W10 'Creators Update' and following this I find that actioning anything on diyAudio takes around 15 to 20 seconds. Even initial opening of the site takes an age. Clicking on a thread takes a similar time for it to open and so on.

This is using Edge browser (which I have been using for months).

Clearing cookies and so on still has no effect on the issue.

All other sites I use seem OK.

Using IE and the site responds normally.

Anyone any ideas ?

I'm wondering if the security of the site is causing Edge a problem as it checks things out before allowing them to display. Other vBulletin sites such as the Vintage Radio one seem OK.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think I've found part of the answer. Something is being carried over in browsing history/cookies etc that is upsetting Edge. Deleting everything (not something I wanted to do as I have now dozens of site preferences to set up) does seem to have fixed the issue. Curious that it is just this one site (for me) that was affected.

I'll test it all more later.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The plot thickened. The above installation was an 'upgrade install' (I was always going to clean install anyway but was curious to see how it went).

My settings for Edge have always been to delete everything except cookies, browsing history and passwords automatically when the browser is closed. Deleting every possible item from the list of 'deletables' available in Edge, and then re-entering all site preferences from scratch seemed to fix the issue.

So far so good.

I then clean installed and unbelievably the same issue was back immediately for this site and one other. I didn't even have to be logged in, the site just would not open quickly.

Doing a restart of the PC fixed the issue as a 'one off', i.e it opened OK first time but not thereafter. Weird !

What did seem to have fully fixed things, and this is day 3 now, was to reboot the router. I have no explanation why that has worked. A clean install has zero knowledge of what has gone on before.

Oh yes, and Google was 100% unreachable too.

So all working OK at the moment, and no answers to what happened.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The problem has returned twice since posting above.

This time I flushed the DNS resolver cache (no router reboot) and that fixes the issue for a 'one time access' to the site. If I click anything on here then it freezes up again. Each DNS flush gives me just one attempt, when I try and click on anything then it freezes again.

I've now tried a switch of DNS servers away from my ISP to Open DNS. All is currently working.

Its very odd how its always diyAudio that is the affected site and how this coincided with the Creators Update.

We'll see how it goes today :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You mean opening pictures and so on ?

I don't think any reports have come in lately of site issues. Standard advice I always give is to run a disk clean, a browser clean and also perform a router reboot.

Some pictures hosted externally (something we don't encourage, we would rather they be attached to the forum software) are very large and can take a while to load, more so if you have a slow internet connection.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks Jason.

I'm still getting the problem, typically once or twice a day. It is a minority of sites affected, not just diyAudio. I couldn't open a link to YouTube yesterday and also had Google home page lock out on me.

Router restart fixes it every time. The router uses a separate modem and so a restart doesn't drop the line connection.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks.

Someone far more knowledgeable than I in all of this has suggested that it could be a CDN issue. Proof of that has been that a site that also fails at the same time as diyAudio is also available with a 'no CDN' skin. When switched to that, and when the problem strikes, the site in question continues to perform correctly.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Just to bring this up to date:

1/ New clean install of W10 from new USB media (just to rule anything weird out as the original media was a common link between upgrade and clean installs). This was a test install and nothing was added or set up. A disk image was made of the final install.

So the tests begin.

I open Edge and get instant access to all the sites that have been troublesome, but it only works once. I close Edge and reopen and access is broken again.

Now I reinstate the disk image and repeat the test. Same again.

I do this a third time with the same result.

Now I reinstate the image yet again and this time (on the advice of my ISP support forum) connect directly to the modem, this time with out having the router connected.

Everything works.

Again I do the disk image routine and try three times. All good.

The odd thing is what happened next. On reconnecting the router it all works normally with excellent access speeds to all sites (at the moment anyway and its been 48 hours like this).

So I'm none the wiser. I believe doing what I did may have caused a totally different IP to be acquired (from a different 'group').

So that's the story so far......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.