Feature request: Searching attachments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While searching I realized there's seemingly no way to search in particular for attachments such as pictures, this forum is of such nature that many upload and attach a lot of different files such as pictures pdf's, Spice files etc. it would be quite a handy feature to be able to search attachments in some way.

Following combinations to consider could be:
1. Search for keyword(s) in post, but show only posts with an attachment, and preferably selectable for some known file endings such as *.jpg, *.png, *.pdf, *.asc, *.txt, *.zip, *.7z,....etc
2. Search for keyword(s) in attachments, either by file name or file ending.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
To make it more difficult, the attachments all have file names but they are usually just that of the photo number so unless they are relabelled (which not many people bother) you wouldn't know what to search for other than than the extension as maiko suggests. If the file names have been changed they may not have the extension anymore, and who knows what the keyword might be anyway?

I think this would be difficult to implement.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
What about all attachments/images posted by user name?
It often happens that I can remember that so and so posted a neat circuit/link etc. but just can't dredge up where I saw it. To be able to do a bulk search by user name and come up with all the attachments they've posted - Once there's a list, going through them would be a relative breeze - easier than hunting around the way it is now anyway.

I just looked closer at the attachment URL's and indeed the BBS SW behind DiyA forum renames the attached file, the naming convention seems to look something like:

a file to be attached by the name
yyyyyyyy.jpg
becomes...
nnnnnnnn-xxxxxxxx-yyyyyyyy.jpg

where....
nnnnnnnn = random looking number
- = added concatenation symbol
xxxxxxxx = name of the thread
- = added concatenation symbol
yyyyyyyy = file name
.jpg = file extension

If the file name has been changed, it still has a file extension, otherwise if non-existing or incorrect, the BBS SW won't accept the upload and the "Manage Attachments" pop-up window will report "invalid file".
I just tried upload a small picture from where I removed the file extension and the upload failed as expected.
Windows by default hides the file extension so when people rename files, the file extension stays intact.

Searching on user ID has its limitation too, each search result page shows only 20 hits/page, and will be a painful task wading through when searching on this guy.
diyAudio
400++ pages....

When searching attachments by user ID, there is a column that shows the original file name as it looked like when uploaded by the user, ie. yyyyyyyy.*** (where *** represents a file extension such as "jpg"), meaning the data base keeps things in order and can discern the file name from the concatenated link/string name URL://........nnnnnnnn-xxxxxxxx-yyyyyyyy.jpg.

ps. uploaded picture link, by file name "smile.gif", is:
www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/forum-problems/590452d1483795446-feature-request-searching-attachments-smile.gif

de-concatenated:
590452d1483795446
-
feature-request-searching-attachments
-
smile
.gif

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.