What's with the noisy ads?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Has something changed recently with the advertisements on DIYA? They now force video and sound on my computer system. Sometimes I am listening to a new amplifier, or making measurements, etc. Then bang! A super loud ad comes on and wreaks havoc on my audio system. I know ads are what keeps this site running - but to force audio output on sensitive setups is not a good idea. Do I have to exit DIYA everytime I am about to hook up my system for testing to be safe? Or is this something that has always been there and I have a setting on my browser that has changed?

Do you mean you're running a browser without an adblocker?

Some tens of millions of IE users got infected with a very stealthy backdoor, with clear criminal intentions through an ad campaign that had been running for years. It only got detected last week. Now we know.

I'm simply refusing to run without an adblocker. When the ad distributors will start filtering and refusing customers with clear criminal intentions, I might reconsider. Until that happens, I don't care for arguments like "this site needs ads to survive".

The ads for newspapers, TV and most other media get vetted by an ad panel. And they're quite picky about relatively innocent things like nudity or bad language. Internet ad dsitributors all act like there's no problem. Which makes them accomplices of a large crime wave in my eyes. What are they waiting for? Some govt to get in on it? Or everyone running an adblocker and their business going bust?

Have a look at Ghostery. Strangely enough, created by a publicity company. Perhaps the only one with half a brain?

I hear ya and its understandable but NO not everyone has a way of blocking the ads......

Most sites serve ads from a main location and its VERY HARD to know what they are going to send..... People need to report audio and video ads (Thier URLs) so they can be blocked from showing again...... Its all about working together :)

Alot dont realise ITS NOT THE ADMIN DOING IT!!

People need to report audio and video ads (Thier URLs) so they can be blocked from showing again...... Its all about working together :)

No it isn't.

Your average user isn't even capable of doing that. Malicious ads hide these URL's. Hec, they even detect if you're running a sniffer, or using a VM, two signs that you might be an AV researcher...

And they can't be blocked by reporting because they change all the time. Changing them is simple and automated.

This is a problem only the distribution networks can solve, mostly by vetting the client and not accepting any dodgy clients. In doing so, they would also avoid being paid with copied credit cards. But nobody wants to be the first.

And yes, the forum's admin is the victim. He's caught in the middle, needs to hear complaints from users and can't do anything about it. As a matter of fact, he can't even see the problem, as these are highly targeted ads. The ads you get aren't the same ads I get, or the admin gets. We've all been profiled a long time ago.

Also, don't blame the user. The targets in this case were people running outdated versions of Internet Explorer with Flash. eg 50% of the net.

But the target might be someone running a secured recent version of Firefox tomorrow. There simply isn't a browser without major holes. Browsers never were built to be secure. There's always a 0-day somewhere...

Eliminating ads by means of an adblocker doesn't avoid all danger. But it avoids at least 90%.

All the admin can do, is replace the distribution networks with DIY and run the ads from his own server, under his own domain. No way to block those. But that's only viable for the bigger sites. The little ones, living from ads, are going down the drain. The distribution networks don't care for the little ones. It doesn't matter to them who serves their ads.

I've also never seen an autoplay ad that was legitimate. Would be kind of counter productive, if your ad showed in an office environment, fi.

I fear the OP's computer is already infected with some adware that redirects those ads to other distributors, maybe shows links in his search results, or even redirects some site to others.

The easiest way to test is to use another browser. If both browsers exhibit the same behaviour, your DNS is hijacked. If the new browser acts normally, the browser you've been using is infected.

In case of a hijacked DNS, it could be your router. Use another computer to test. If another computer behaves normally, it's not your router.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
On the closing diyaudio when doing measurements, I would actually advise closing ALL browsers, in fact doing a reboot and not opening any in the first place.

I've found that just opening a browser can affect the sound card in a negative way with higher noise levels or wonky results. Also ensure that itunes isn't running!

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.