Simulators and convergence

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Regarding simulators (Pspice, TopSpice, SwitcherCad, etc.),

Let us say I have a circuit that will not converge when simulated on an older computer.

==> Is there a chance that, using the exact same simulation program, the same circuit WILL converge on a more powerful computer (i.e. faster, more RAM, etc.)?

LtSpice is supposed to be pretty good on convergence - the more recent versions have added a gshunt hack that lets you add a conductance from every node to gnd - sometimes helpful

did you try the ps ramping hack? - replace your supplies with pwl sources that start a 0 - surely it can find an operating point - then ramp the sources to the operating V, this can still get to non-physical states but sometimes works

ideal current sources can run off to KV, volatage sources can supply KA - clamping diodes on ccs to ps helps me occasionally

Simetrix always converges for me. You can also change the integration method - fast and loose or slow and accurate. You may also find using a smaller timestep on transient sims will work better. Also setting up your initial conditions better will help. Sometimes adding a small resistor in series with reactive elements (l and C) can help too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.