PIC12F683 to LCD display

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

Can anyone please explain to me, how I can control a LCD display whit an PIC12F683 micro controller. I want to be able to display numbers and letter if possible. I’m looking for a simple and low cost solution, so I cant use 50$ serial Display.

Hope some one is able to help.. tnx

Hi !

Here's a very nice guide which will show you how to use LCD character display. (assuming it's based on the HD44780 controller which is most likely the case).

By the way : if you're short on I/O, you can use the 4bits mode instead. It's explained later in the document.

LCD Guide

Good luck !

Hi Calebay,

the PIC 12F683 has just 6 I/O lines, and you need at least 7 of them to control an HD44780-based LCD.

If you do not want to use another PIC, a solution could consist in using a shift register. You could output the data bits serially into the shift register and then, when the nibble or byte has been transferred, move it from the register to the LCD. A bit tricky, but it can work...

Cheers,

Bruno

Now I started programming my 16f684 in MBLAP, doing okay.. but I have a question, the program space is divided in 4..

Program space:
CODE used 97h ( 151) of 400h words ( 14.7%) CONST used 0h ( 0) of 400h words ( 0.0%) ENTRY used 13h ( 19) of 400h words ( 1.9%) STRING used 0h ( 0) of 400h words ( 0.0%)

The program I write only takes space up In the CODE, so my question is can change anything so I get more CODE space? The problem is that I have to calculate this: Y = A – B/(exp((C-X)/D)) and the exp function takes up more space than the 400 words..

How can I get around this? Or will I have to find another Micro controller whit more memory?

Hi Nigel

I Use Standart C.

anyway problem is solved i think..

But now I came up whit another one, I have build the Wisp628 programmer.

http://www.voti.nl/wisp628/index.html

I tryed to use the Bumblebee software, but it does not support the 16f684. It seem to be posible to add it tho.. but i need these data, and I don't know where to find them..

Name, Abrivation, Code, Data, Protect, and ID:

do you know where i can find these data

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.