Cleaning circuit boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Purchased Adcom 555 on E-Bay. Apparently a previous owner had a cat that used the amp as a marking post. How do I clean the circuit boards and other areas of the amp without doing any more damage? Should I just return the unit to the seller due to the cost and complexity of the cleaning?:mad:

Great Idea !

However I would dunk the amp in a final bath of demineralised water in a tub . That would make sure that any residual water droplets would dry without leaving any residue .

Keeping the amp warm for 2 days might depend on how dry the weather is. In a place like ours I would leave it in the sun for a week or even more. We do have a very humid climate - most times.

I've done this with two DMM's and both survived and work well !
I dried them in a baking oven kept at very low heat - I checked the temperature before putting the meters inside. They had a few presets on them. No problems.
You could blow air into presets and other moving parts in case you think there might a lots of water trapped inside and then dry them.

Keeping it in an oven or heater might be tricky. You should ensure the temperature doesn't go over say 50 deg C. Some caps have a 85deg C max rating . So elevated temepratures might cut down on its lifetime.
Any experts out there on temperature ?

That indeed might be a problem. If not cleaned properly and instantly you might find some pcb copper traces in real bad shape.

Indeed.....

Cleaning the board / insides must be on TOP of your priority of things to get done. I think it is acidic and can really eat up things !
Clean it will soapy water. Use any liquid dish wash detergent. I would brush it on with a 1 inch wide paint brush. Try to keep the water and soap to the areas concerned - if possible. Otherwise wash well and spray clear with distilled water and dry for a " few days ". You could mop up with an absorbent cloth / paper in areas that are accessible easily. Blow drying a bit will also help get most of the water out.

How would I know ?........ It happened to my scope !
Yeah , the scope works fine.

Not my cat , the neighbour's cat !:mad:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.