9 richter earthquake + 15m wave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sad. Part of my country (not where I live) is hit by 9 richter earthquake and tsunami after that, with 15m wave. I've seen such a dissaster, in movies, like Perfect Storm, etc. But never tought it will happened in real life.
The goverment has announced 20.000 has died until today. It crush my heart, to see babies and children died in tragic condition. I have children in my home.

Yes indeed...very sad. Even more sad because a lot of deaths could have been prevented. I read today that the Thai Metereological folks knew that there was a chance of a Tsunami, they decided not to act because of the commercial damage that might have done. (And because a previous tremor did not lead to a Tsunami)

My heart is with those who lost loved ones.

This disaster is far worse than it appears.
The death toll is approaching 70,000 in the region and might even cross that.
We have just donated clothes but feel like we have done nothing.
The devastation is so great and the loss of family and home for thousands is so bad it can never be overcome by anyone.

I saw a program on TV that said that the Indian Ocean plate has been pushed down 30 meters and could cause magma to find a way out to the surface. So a bad volcanic eruption in the region could be possible. If so it will be more devastating than the Tsunami.
I do hope they are wrong.

Bas Horneman said:
read today that the Thai Metereological folks knew that there was a chance of a Tsunami, they decided not to act because of the commercial damage that might have done.

That is news to me, and is very sad if it is true. But it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.... Lost money vs lost lives?

I read in The Age a little while ago that NOAA in Hawaii knew there was a tsunami headed for the region, several hours or so before it hit India and Sri Lanka, but were unable to inform the authorities in the region because they didn't have any contacts there.

As far as I know, the affected nations are the Maldives, Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, Burma, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia - and as far away as Kenya and Somalia.

Today's evening news reported the death toll may reach the hundreds of thousands.

and as far away as Kenya and Somalia.
Some freak waves also hit as far as South Africa (12 1/2 hours after the quake). 1 person reported drowned..

According to wikipedia...the effects where measured in USA

"Tsunami energy that passed into the Pacific Ocean caused wave fluctuations of 22 cm at San Diego, California, and 6 cm at Hilo, Hawaii."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Other_countries_affected_by_the_2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake

and the earths rotation slowed down 3 millionth of a second because of the quake.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Apart from the two world wars this is probably the greatest catastrophe of the century.
We really ought to donate all we can, even if it hurts us.
This is beyond my comprehension but I try to be aware of what millions are experiencing now.
Many many people lost everything, even their clothes, have no food or water, nothing…

/Hugo

If there ever was a time for donations this is it.

Just a few days before the quake I was vacationing in Phuket with my gf, and now this once so beautiful island looks like a war zone.
My heartfelt sympathies goes out to all those who have lost a loved one.
As the death toll rises one has to consider oneself lucky if one doesn’t know someone who is either dead or missing.

I just read in newspaper, there is a picture of "mass graveyard". Because there is so many dead bodies, on the street, on the beach, floating on the water, on the bush, everywhere, don't know who is who, but since the conditions are very wet and muddy, they makes mass graveyard, where they dig one big hole with excavator, and put 20-30 bodies in one hole. They are racing with time, before the bodies become rotten.

There is a great fear now, after the earthquake and tsunami. The conditions in the area are very wet and muddy. Could you imagine streets, the park, everywhere becomes a "trash dumpster" with smell of dead fish (possibly dead people), plastic trash, garbage, mud, all caused by mud+trash swept by sea water when the tsunami strikes. And people have to live there!. There is no dry land, all wet mud everywhere. How long it takes before they becomes sick? There are no homes, they become trash of wood, brick, plastic, when tsunami strikes.

Disseases are very easily developed. Lack of fresh water, blanket, tent, medicine. It can be second dissaster.

I can see now, how little mankind are. How we have no control at all even at the smallest factor that support our life. I imagine, what happens if all water in the world disappear (suddenly, earth cracks at sea, all sea water are sucked by hot magma), or the sky's atmosphere disappear (of the cause that no-one can think of now). People are dead instantenously.

We never thanks what we do every minute. Healing fresh air, drinking good water. When they gone, then we realize that our daily life, second by second, minute by minute is given by God, it is not there because of our own effort.

...there are places where no-one has even been to since it happened I suppose.....
Tsunami strikes all coast line. It don't do "Ah, this beach has a major road and the beach is crowded, lets flood this beach only"
All coast line that is facing the Indian ocean suffers tsunami. There are areas, that are so rarely visited, maybe the data of how many dead there are known months after now. The same is with small islands, with minimum communications. Maybe now there are several islands that all people are dead, and we don't know about it.

The Tsunami is very dangerous to people that is not well informed about it. Before the tsunami strikes, the sea will dry for hundreds of meters. It automaticly attract the people on the beach to go to sea (instead of running away as fast as possible from the water front), to pick fish. This is what happened here. Suddenly, a 15m wave strikes at a speed faster than Boeing 747. Who could run from that?

My Father-in-Law is in Myanmar. No phone, no communications, no idea if he was near the coast or not. He's a German citizen and trying to get through to the German consolate is virtually impossible. He goes there every winter.

Being that the Myanmar govt is a military one they aren't giving out ANY info.

All we can do is wait, pray and hope for the best.

None of the countries most severely affected - including India, Thailand, Indonesia and Sri Lanka - had a tsunami warning mechanism or tidal gauges to alert people to the wall of water that followed a massive earthquake, said Waverly Person of the USGS National Earthquake Information Centre.

"Most of those people could have been saved if they had had a tsunami warning system in place or tide gauges," he said.
From our local paper (The Age) on Monday.

And unfortunately, no-one knew what was coming after the earth-quake as there hasn't been an appreciable tsunami in the Indian Ocean for 100 years(?).

The same thing could have happenned to Australia on 23rd December, as there was an 8.1 quake about 700 kilometres from Tasmania - and no-one was warned to prepare for a tsunami there either.

Let's hope the USGS helps set up warning systems through-out the globe as a result of this eye-opening event...

...in the meantime, if you can offer any assistance (money, prayers, etc) to the people in the affected areas, then please do it.

The worst tsunami in the Indian Ocean ...

Todays paper says that in 1874 there was a Tsunami in South Bengal, after an earthquake in the region. Now called Bhola district in Bangladesh.
It killed about 1,200,000 people ! That's 1.2 million !
They said that if such a Tsunami hit that region today , it would kill over 1.2 million again !
We'll never be prepared enough.

Somebody we know with a beach house was on the beach when the tsunami arrived. He was washed out to sea . After some time another large powerful wave threw him back on shore amongst some trees. He grabbed hold of some branches and held on for dear life. The waves stripped him off all his clothes. When the water receded , he managed to find some debri that he wrapped around himself and was found by some fishermen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.