Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

The migration to our new platform will be happening today at 11AM GMT/UTC, Wednesday 8th December 2021. See this time in your city. The site will be down for 24-48 hours while we perform the migration. Read more here.
Sir Clive Sinclair - RIP
Sir Clive Sinclair - RIP
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2021, 12:50 PM   #21
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramello View Post
My picture of my very calculator, on the fabulous book of programmes you could put into it.
Apparently it was the British Silicon Valley... (Sinclair, Quad, Meridian, Cyrus, all big names with a genius behind)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Huntingdon.jpg (11.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 23rd September 2021, 01:33 PM   #22
Bas Horneman is offline Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Our first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48k. In 1983 I think we got it. Told my dad it would help with homework. Instead...all games. Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner, Etc.

Also before that.... I remember receiving a folder at home with ZX81...It made my heart and mind race...as a kid...just the idea that a computer was within my reach.

Last edited by Bas Horneman; 23rd September 2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old 23rd September 2021, 01:34 PM   #23
Caramello is offline Caramello  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsaszar View Post
Apparently it was the British Silicon Valley... (Sinclair, Quad, Meridian, Cyrus, all big names with a genius behind)
I bought a Quad 44 and Quad 405 in ~1982, still got them but not used as they take up so much space.

I think you're right, it as a kind of "British Silicon Valley", particularly when Acron started the RISC/ARM processors, still used in many mobile phones.

It's interesting listening to the Chris Curry video as he describes how, when he worked with Clive Sinclair, he went to the US to Texas Instruments to get the chips for the prototype Sinclair calculator, and later to National Semiconductor for the MK14 chipset, the circuit was basically the NS Application Note.

Last edited by Caramello; 23rd September 2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old 23rd September 2021, 01:41 PM   #24
Caramello is offline Caramello  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
Our first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48k. In 1983 I think we got it. Told my dad it would help with homework. Instead...all games. Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner, Etc.

Also before that.... I remember receiving a folder at home with ZX81...It made my heart and mind race...as a kid...just the idea that a computer was within my reach.
In that Chris Curry video, he says that the Sinclair market mostly consisted of kids/teenagers who were into audio electronics, then later, into home computing (not necessarily the same kids/teenagers, but the same type of person). It's a shame that all that sort of thing has gone (at least, in Western Europe), everything is handed on a plate. I'm wondering if there's some other type of technology (non-electronic) waiting for kids to experiment with.
Old 23rd September 2021, 01:42 PM   #25
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sir Clive Sinclair - RIP
referred to as 'silicon fen'
Old 23rd September 2021, 01:47 PM   #26
Bas Horneman is offline Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's a shame that all that sort of thing has gone (at least, in Western Europe)
It is sad. Also the decline of the trades..but I think youtube might be at least a trigger for people to pick up making things...like boatbuilding or making a computer workarea..etc..etc.

The internet was a reason for me being able to pick up diyaudio.
Old 24th September 2021, 07:17 PM   #27
Frabor is offline Frabor  United States
diyAudio Member

R.I.P. Sir Clive Sinclair.

my first discussions about personal computers, on the pre-forum times, where the passionate conversations about vic 20 (that were very expensive and available at my school computer lab) vs the zx-80 .The zx-80 become the market the winner, with a insanely low price for the time. My first one was the ZX Spectrum with the tape, it was so "fast" to load the games and play. Well, the floppy disk were nicer, but a 5.25" floppy reader for a commodore cost more that an spectrum with a tape player. I do not recall if they were available for the spectrum.

Last edited by Frabor; 24th September 2021 at 07:22 PM.
Old 26th September 2021, 02:16 PM   #28
NareshBrd is offline NareshBrd  India
diyAudio Member

His idea of wafer scale integration is coming closer, good he saw smartphones with all the features / functions on the same chip in his lifetime.
A visionary, if at times impractical...
  Reply to this post

Sir Clive Sinclair - RIPHide this!Advertise here!