Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Laplace transfer function, poles and quality factor
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2021, 04:21 PM   #1
JustAFrog is offline JustAFrog
diyAudio Member

Default Laplace transfer function, poles and quality factor

Hello,
I am working on my theoretical skill, and I struggle a bit understanding the geometric interpretation of s-plane regarding eigenfrequency (natural frequency ?) and quality factor.

On this document (cf screenshot), I read that poles at constant frequency move on a circle when modifying the quality factor?
Is it because of this "natural frequency" term ?

It goes strongly against my intuition that constant frequency is equivalent to constant imaginary part of the pole.

http://jahonen.kapsi.fi/Audio/Papers/Equalization.pdf

I am understanding wrong ? is the document a bit inaccurate ?

Would you have some recommendation about resources I could use to understand those thing ? (signal theory, linear stuff, DSP, and so on). I am not too scared of maths, but I really enjoy pedagogical stuff that gives intuitions.

Thank you very much :-)
Old 1st July 2021, 05:54 PM   #2
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I had to look up "natural frequency" to find its the same as resonant frequency. Thats the freq. an object vibrates when you hit it, or the freq where a circuit has max amplitude. It doesn't normally change so in that paper for any system the natural freq. Wn stays constant. The freq. of the signal w, is not constant. Its contained in the S as jw+rho.

If you want THE book, its here for free.

[PDF] Network Analysis and Synthesis By Franklin F. Kuo Book Free Download – EasyEngineering

Last edited by cbdb; 1st July 2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 1st July 2021, 06:48 PM   #3
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

That's a good one. I don't think they even teach this stuff anymore, sad.
Old 1st July 2021, 08:01 PM   #4
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

For me, Norman Nise's textbook is the gold standard: amazon link

It covers stability (and instability) very thoroughly.

BTW the "natural frequency" omega sub 0, is seldom observed in real world physical systems, because real world systems contain nonzero amounts of damping. Instead, what is observed in real world systems is the "damped natural frequency" omega sub d

omega_d = omega_0 * sqrt(1 - (zeta squared))

where zeta is the damping factor. If for example an LC resonator contains any resistance R at all, then zeta>0 and omega_d < omega_0.
Old 4th July 2021, 08:32 PM   #5
JustAFrog is offline JustAFrog
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much all.
I think I understood. So, on circle centred on 0, we have "constant damped natural frequency", and on line parallel to the imaginary axis, constant "undamped" natural frequency ?
  Reply to this post

Laplace transfer function, poles and quality factorHide this!Advertise here!