Question on running car amp and sub in home setting.

Hey guys. I have a question for ya'll if you don't mind. I have some car audio components that I'd like to mess around with and set them up in my bedroom. Everything is just stuff that I have already except for a line output converter that I'll have to buy. The equipment is:
Sony reciever (HCD-EC709IP): Just an older 2 speaker system without sub preouts
Rockford Fosgate RF2002 amp (50wx2 rms, or 200w bridged)
JL Audio 12w0 (125w RMS)
Line output converter (I dont have yet)
Power supply from a Dell Optiplex 5040 Link below:
Dell D240EM-00 - 240W Power Supply with 2x Connectors for Optiplex 3040 3650 3656 5040 7040 - CPU Medics

I'd like to power my amp with the power supply above that I got out of a computer someone at work scraped. And then tap into the speaker leads on the Sony reciever into the LOC, and then RCA's from the LOC to the amp.

I asked on a diyaudio sub reddit if this would work (I'm new to home audio) and got a lot of differing opinions. It looks to me like the power supply will work and everything lines up. Only one thing that I can see may be a show stopper. The Sony speakers are rated 12 Ohm. My amplifier and sub are both 4 Ohm whether I use just one channel or bridge the two channels. Is this a road block or does the impedance somehow change by using the line output converter. Thank you guys for any information. I'm trying to order the LOC today if my plan will work so that I can get my experiment going this weekend. Also, I know there's better power supplies and recievers for my project but this is what I have available in my possession so thats what I'll stick with if it will work. Thanks.

No, the impedance of the Sony speakers connected to the Sony amplifier doesn't matter, the line output converter doesn't care. What you need to do is mono the two outputs from the line output converter to add the bass from both channels into your sub input. You can do this with an RCA 'Y' connector or lead.

Thank you for the response. Heres a picture of the car amplifier I'm working with. It has a standard (as far as car amplifiers go) rca connection with one positive and one negative, like what will come out of the line output converter. So I dont believe I need the RCA Y cable like you would on some of the home theater style amps or powered subs.
So the speaker impedance being 12 ohm and my 4 ohm amplifier and four ohm single voice coil subwoofer will work fine together once I tap into the speaker leads and convert them to race's using a line output converter? I figured that since the speakers have a 12 ohm impedance that the amplifier in the sony stereo would be designed to run at 12 ohms as well, which in my thought wouldnt be compatible with my 4 ohm components, but that's not the case huh?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to the DIY home audio thing, thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210615-063526_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210615-063526_Chrome.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 53
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The Sony amplifier does want to see 12 ohms and it will because the speakers for it are 12 ohms.. and because the converter is designed to keep it that way. It samples the signal without putting a heavy load onto the Sony amp.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, they are ok. Work on getting the levels right. Make sure they are crossed where necessary.

You can ignore this but I would have considered using a few resistors instead of the converter. Not that it matters, especially if you are used to doing it that way and it will help you succeed.

Nice thank you very much! You've been the only one able to answer the impedance question so far between here and reddit (although I did just make this thread today so j havent given other people much of a chance to answer. But by a that solves the mystery. And some day I'd like to try the way your talking about with using a few resistors but I've never done that and do understand line output converters. I'll measure the voltage at the RCA side of the LOC and adjust it to 2-5 volts before I plug them into the amp.

My amp has a built in crossover which I'll set a low pass at 80 hz give or take depending on how it sounds. And the output (gain) is fully adjustable. The only thing it doesnt have is high level speaker inputs which would be very nice in this case so that I wouldnt have to use a line output converter. If I were buying an amp I'd definitely being looking for one with such a feature but I already own this one. In fact this whole project came up because I already have all the components except the LOC. I'm kind of a super obsessed and passionate car audio addict haha.

That's what I'm thinkin too. I keep a pretty close eye on the used market for car audio components so im going to start learning more about and looking for a nice little amp and some nice little speakers to go with it. That or I may make a couple enclosures and be able to choose which drivers I want. I live with roomates and like to respect their privacy and what not so this will just be kind of a low powered system to play when I'm in my bedroom. But ya that's the plan! I love this stuff honestly, I'm really looking forward to getting my feet wet in home audio. Yesterday I mounted one of the sony speakers to the wall pointing directly on axis to my head in my computer chair and routed speaker wire to the other side of the room for to do the same to the other speaker. And I hid the kind of ugly sony reciever in my wardrobe or whatever the hell you call those things with and drilled a hole for the wiring.
And on the line output converter I was actually planning on just getting this super inexpensive Sconsche LOC for 9.99. This is just a very bare bones setup and honestly I'm doing just as much for the experience and learning the electrical as much as being able to add bass itself. Unless you think this LOC will be a terrible idea for some reason. The most I'd spend though would be like 20 bucks which crutchfield sells a kicker LOC or two for that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210615-095338_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210615-095338_Chrome.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited: