Gior - real horns or CGI?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• Dior.jpg
    Dior.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 72

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
IMHO: they are real props. Thin hardboard and woodgrain paint. It is amazing what a good theater scene-shop can do.

From an unpublished work of copyright infringement:
Fred said, "Can I hang around? I never saw the back end of a theater."
"I shouldn't, it takes all the magic out of the play if you see what lies behind the pretty sets. But be my guest. Wander around, stay out of the way, don't yank on any ropes."
Fred Finch was fascinated. Things that would have looked impressive from the front in stage-light turned out to be the merest shells up close in work-light. A heavy carved table turned out to be light as cardboard, mostly foam plastic with carvings that might have been done with a butterknife, all painted to look like wood from a distance but just a smear when seen up close.

Those speakers are not real, but the ones on the right are based on old theater horns such as the Altec A1, A2, etc. which were similar to older Western Electric and RCA MI-9462 designs. That said, any of those designs would have also had a high frequency horn above them, and also had bass reflex port slots visible on the "wings".
A straight quad 15" (or possibly 18", depending on the head size of the walking guy) bass horn as depicted would not provide much gain below around 95 Hz, not worth the size.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.