Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Analysis of speaker cables
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 24th November 2020, 07:49 AM   #111
chdsl is offline chdsl
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Polak View Post

I belong to the ones who think to hear differences.
True enough. Everyone has a different pair of ears.
Some appear to have "high-end" ears, though.

Last edited by chdsl; 24th November 2020 at 07:52 AM.

Old 24th November 2020, 11:50 AM   #112
Jakob2 is offline Jakob2  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenharmonics View Post
And when I ask him about what kind of test setup it is, he won't answer.
Reason could be that you're constantly asking these question, but are avoiding direct answers if asked similar questions ....

And, even if someone answered your questions it seems that you nevertheless will be asking the same questions in other threads ad infinitum.

And, beside asking these question you have only provided an opinion paper by Peter Aczel but no relevant literature about planning and execution of good sensory tests.
All together gives the impression that it is more about a religious like propaganda mission than about searching for the truth .....

Old 24th November 2020, 03:22 PM   #113
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

People will hear differences for all kinds of reasons, it doesn't tell you which difference is better though.

Old 24th November 2020, 03:39 PM   #114
Hans Polak is online now Hans Polak  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

That’s completely my opinion.
I think that almost everybody can hear differences.
But that does not automatically mean that they perceive the difference as an improvement.
It is something between your ears to make that decision.

I’m glad we are all different.

Hans

Last edited by Hans Polak; 24th November 2020 at 03:41 PM.

Old 24th November 2020, 06:01 PM   #115
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post
4 twisted pairs is more practical than all those cat5e 24 pair solutions, and no stability worries.

jn
Gosh, do you really remember that?
Curious speaker cable interaction with Krell KSA amp

Old 24th November 2020, 06:20 PM   #116
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnharr View Post
I wholeheartedly agree.
It's our hobby and pleasure. We can do as we please.
We certainly can do as we please with our own audio money and time. Who tried to stop you from doing that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob2 View Post
Reason could be that you're constantly asking these question, but are avoiding direct answers if asked similar questions ....

And, even if someone answered your questions it seems that you nevertheless will be asking the same questions in other threads ad infinitum.

And, beside asking these question you have only provided an opinion paper by Peter Aczel but no relevant literature about planning and execution of good sensory tests.
All together gives the impression that it is more about a religious like propaganda mission than about searching for the truth .....
Could be maybe if you can admit that it's only an impression of yours.

Old 24th November 2020, 06:52 PM   #117
jneutron is offline jneutron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
Gosh, do you really remember that?
Curious speaker cable interaction with Krell KSA amp
You made a good impression...

I actually made a 4 ohm cable using 6 15 foot lengths of cat5e, drove a non inductive 4 ohm resistor in liquid helium using a tigersaurus 250. Because the load was non inductive, the amp remained quite stable. But I fear that if I drove a speaker with that cable, the amp would take issue with the capacitance. That is why a Zobel at the load will help. But most people don't want to try and match a high capacitance cable with a Zobel, everybody just wants plug and play..

jn

Old 24th November 2020, 07:08 PM   #118
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

A difference does not mean better. The vast majority of cables that sound different is they are adding more distortion than a length of 16 gauge zip cord. 35 cents a foot or so. No oxygen free, microcrystal, unidirectional, skin effect, magic BS needed unless you want to just throw money in the air. If you have it surplus, the food banks sure could use some help now.

Cheap zip does not corrode much. 30 or 40 years or so. The clear insulation, like original monster and many "speaker cables" will outgas and corrode in only a few years but it is only under the insulation, so should have no effect on the function. Just really ugly. You can just go to someplace like a Belden supplier and buy 2 conductor bonded tin over copper if you think that is a problem.

Old 24th November 2020, 08:37 PM   #119
jneutron is offline jneutron  United States
diyAudio Member

As mentioned, I have bog standard cables approaching 45 years old, I see no issues. Even the discoloration under the clear insulation. It will give issues if I have to re-terminate as the copper chloride is a pain to solder to. However, If I worry about microdiodes, well ya can't have microdiodes, now can ya??

But I could not take a chance when absolute reliability is required and ya have a quarter million miles of conductors built in.

jn

Old 24th November 2020, 09:31 PM   #120
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenharmonics View Post
We certainly can do as we please with our own audio money and time. Who tried to stop you from doing that?
It would be best if you did not add something to my post which I did not write.

Closed Thread

Analysis of speaker cablesHide this!Advertise here!