Pitch inversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Panpsychism has been getting a lot of press lately, but this is a new pitch. (cough, cough)
HAs anyone listened to these mirror version songs? The author is correct that a melody is relative, it can be transposed into another key a remain the same melody. But a mirror image of the pitch? Strange.

Ya its an is interesting concept, maybe try inverting and then change key.

I did a microcontroller pitch-to-midi controller back in the 80's using the MC68705. Maybe it would be easy in real-time using midi.
I think some early voice encryption used analog pitch inversion.

Is the copyright still in force if inverted?

-

Last edited:
closed account
Joined 2007
Panpsychism has been getting a lot of press lately, but this is a new pitch. (cough, cough)
HAs anyone listened to these mirror version songs? The author is correct that a melody is relative, it can be transposed into another key a remain the same melody. But a mirror image of the pitch? Strange.

I have no problems with Panpsychism.

However, inverting a melody is a well known contrapuntal technique for deriving a related theme from a given one. For instance, in the works of Bach it was used extensively. There is nothing new in it. See for instance examples in the wikipedia page on the subject.

I have to read up on it, not being a musician I think of music as an additive process consisting of many sine waves with different frequency and amplitude.
Additive synthesis sort of.
So the term 'pitch inversion' means to me a reference arbitrary frequency then transposing to another new reference frequency.
Again arbitrary shift decided by the transpose artist.

This would mean 'many universes' as opposed to a mirror universe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.