Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Cheap battery powered Bluetooth receiver: Are they all the same?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2020, 12:52 PM   #1
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Cheap battery powered Bluetooth receiver: Are they all the same?

I'm looking for a cheap BT receiver with battery, for my vintage ghettoblaster to make music from my iPhone wireless.
And by cheap I mean one of the no-name (no a requirement of course) Bluetooth dongles for under, lets say, a $50/€45.
This is just a lark and the SQ while decent and use cases of the blaster, doesn't warrant big expenditure.

Are they all the same, or are there some that are clearly better?
Are there things to look out for and models to avoid?
Old 15th June 2020, 02:06 PM   #2
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I have found that they very widely. Some are very good at at paring and locking onto the signal, other are not good at all. Some have very clean sound, others are full of hiss.

However, I have only used BT receivers that are powered by an external "wall wart" type supply or those built into an amplifier board. I have not used stand alone battery powered.

What has worked well for me are the brands Sure, Logitech, Amazon, Dayton, Esinkin.
EDIT: I had good luck with Tinysine BT modules that are small enough be added to a boombox. All BT receivers seem to run off 5 volts.

What has been bad are cheap versions off eBay. Only about 30% success rate there.
Old 15th June 2020, 10:40 PM   #3
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks Pano!
  Reply to this post

Cheap battery powered Bluetooth receiver: Are they all the same?Hide this!Advertise here!