Betamax video devices brought back to life

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi!

I got an old video recorder, that was stored in a cellar for decades.
A Sony SL-C7 for Betamax tapes - I never had β before! :)

I worked with many different tape types as long as I live, but mostly VHS and S-VHS.
And I've been interested in some uncommon formats like "VCR" or the better known "Video-2000" for example.
Unfortunately, I missed Beta! :rolleyes:

Video on youtube: "Sony Betamax C7 - Video Recorder Repair"

YouTube

And here some Betamax video footage.
My 90 years old grandpa and me in the garden, Easter 2020.
Filmed with an attic found Sony Betamovie BMC-100P on Betamax video tapes - just to enjoy the pure analog visual quality! :film:
Much Better than I expected for 40 year old video equipment!

So this video is filmed on the Betamovie, then played back by the C7 recorder and after all digitized with a today's technology DVD recorder.

Video: "Easter 2020 on Betamax video tape / Sony Betamovie BMC-100P footage"

YouTube

Video 2000.
If you recall, only half of the tape is used per side as the cassette is reversible.
The V2000 tape is 16mm wide ... only half is used ... that makes 8mm.
Yes the birth of Sony V-8. Video 8(mm) to comply with photographers using 8mm film but 16mm wide tape for the 16mm film makers. How marketing works I presume.

The V-2000 system (16mm wide tape to comply) is almost the same as V-8 but nut as much error correction.

Betamax, Sony, Betacord, Sanyo.
A far superior system to VHS as anyone will agree looking at the picture they produce.
The C5 was similar to the C7 but had monochrome pause with very poor freeze frame. The C7 improved the freeze frame and had a colour pause.
The C20 and onwards was an improvement on the tricks and other stuff people required but was essentially the same, although to make the paused picture more pleasing to the eye, increased the colour to give a 'better' quality picture.
The move to Digital stopped production of both VHS and Beta.

I remember both JVC and Hitachi even counted the tracking pulses along the tape and allowed the viewer to add extra wide pulses at chosen scenes. This was an attempt to allow easy editing and indexing of programmes or scenes.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.