Show your circuit understanding (advanced)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This is a circuit for a competition for IEEE students. The task is to write an intuitive explanation/understanding of max 4 pages.

How would you guys explain this, intuitively?

Jan

Attachments

• stable.PNG
    stable.PNG
    49.2 KB · Views: 349
Joined 2011
Paid Member
In my opinion, the circuit in Figure 1 below has the following transfer function

Vout/Vin = 1.0 * (s + 1) / (s + 0.1)​

as long as the driver has sufficiently low Zout and as long as the receiver has sufficiently high Zin.

{intuition: at very low frequencies, the capacitor is an infinite impedance so Vout is the same as Vin. At very high frequencies, the capacitor is ~zero impedance so the circuit is a two-resistor voltage divider: Vout = (1/10) * Vin}

Two of these in cascade (with buffering!!) will have both of the zeroes and two of the three poles, from the given transfer function. Adding a gain of 10X and another pole, achieves the given transfer function.

I did so in LTSPICE, see Figure 2 below. Gain never exceeds 20dB (10X) which is not surprising given the transfer function. I am unable to replicate their claim that the magnitude of gain is 36 dB anywhere. Simulated phase margin is a pathetic 14 degrees, see the crosshairs. Just barely stable.

I won't rob you of the joy of constructing such a simulation yourself. It's a delightful little "etude".

_

Attachments

• jand1.png
    jand1.png
    566.2 KB · Views: 278
  • jand2.png
    jand2.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 273
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Here is the response of the circuit (with the help of LTspice).

On the left the total circuit, on the right the A(s) only.

regards
George

Attachments

• IEEE competition.png
    IEEE competition.png
    12 KB · Views: 243
  • IEEE competition _responses.png
    IEEE competition _responses.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 252
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I think it would have been far clearer to present the frequency response graph as part of the question. Point out that (a) there is a range of frequencies on this plot where phase shift around the loop is zero, and also gain exceeds 1. (b) Nyquist analysis states the amplifier is stable. Then ask for an intuitive explanation.

_

Attachments

• plottt.png
    plottt.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 158
It would be nice if someone came up with a good answer, I don't know any intuitive explanation for conditional stability either.

Attached is a simple demonstration circuit for conditional stability. Reduce loopgain by turning back the potmeter and ringing gets worse and worse until it oscillates.

Attachments

• voorwaardelijk.gif
    voorwaardelijk.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 141
As Osvaldo writes, this is one that makes sense looked at in a Nyquist plot rather than a Bode plot. The poles/zeros are bounded by the closed loop gain it will work at*, but it doesn't encircle -1. I'm bad at this stuff, so please don't make me explain it better, or you'll know just how little I understand. ;)

*as long as the loop disturbances are small, this will be stable.

** pretty sure JCX talks about his super-duper composite amps being conditionally stable. It's just hanging out with 100+ dB of loop gain at the phase margin violated frequencies, there's not a big enough hammer to make it go unstable. Even into clipping.

This is a circuit for a competition for IEEE students. The task is to write an intuitive explanation/understanding of max 4 pages.

How would you guys explain this, intuitively?

Jan
Ha, a perfect example of the "phase matters only at the intercept" thing I mentioned in the Groner/Polak composite opamp thread https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ana...amuel-groners-super-opamp-13.html#post5796830, post#129
It is not intuitive to me, never will be, why something can be stable when the feedback is effectively positive and the gain is > 1 at this point. I've read the Graeme appnote a hundred times, I understand the simple math he uses for the stability criterion, but heck no, it's not intuitive.

I think, because I never tried it, amplifier stability can be easily visualised and imagined with the use of two dimensional vectors. If one finds a scheme how phasors change with frequency, one should be able to decide whether sustained oscillations take place or not. Two dimensional vectors are not that difficult to mentally visualise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.