125v and 230/250 volt parts choices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built a small photography device for US use, (125V) and internally there are just two switching supplies, along with a second on/off switch, and an RFI filter. I've been asked to make this design ready for "universal" use, and realized that I just don't have experience with higher voltage systems. So, these may seem like a stupid questions, but I want to play it safe. All of the parts say that they are rated for 250V. I can send pdfs of the data sheets, if this will help.

1. AC inlet—I'm using a Schurter, which has a drawer with 2 poles fused. This should be fine, I think. It's illuminated though—and I wonder, does the lit element work on both 125 v and 230V?

2. There is also an Illuminated switch, (to control the second internal switcher supply) and I have the same question—since the LED element in it goes between the two legs (with a built in 33K ohm resistor) will this get hit with twice the voltage the LED wants to see?

3. For the RFI filter, which is also rated at 250V, the wiring from the IEC connector remains unchanged, with one leg going to each of the hot and neutral (in US speak terms).

Feel free to ask me questions and mock my ignorance :) I just don't want to start any fires or have non working switches, etc.

In terms of testing, my shop does have a few 220V outlets for the few mothers that need them. I assume that I can try using these to make sure everything is working okay—but if not, again, let me know.

For safety and liability issues mains Voltage discussions are not much encouraged here.

That said, I guess some basic safety principles can be mentioned.

So you basically packaged 2 SMPS power supplies inside the same box?
Post a picture , upload pertinent datasheets , and also a diagram about how you intend to connect them.

1/ NEVER fuse both Neutral and Live/Hot. If the Neutral fuse blows, the internals can then be Live/Hot.
Be guided by the specification regarding the power supplies. If they are universal 85 - 250volt input, no problem but if they are not rated as universal they won't work safely.

Unless you are trained in mains power, it is not advisable to dabble. You and others, may get seriously hurt!

1. AC inlet—I'm using a Schurter, which has a drawer with 2 poles fused. This should be fine, I think. It's illuminated though—and I wonder, does the lit element work on both 125 v and 230V?
2. There is also an Illuminated switch, (to control the second internal switcher supply) and I have the same question—since the LED element in it goes between the two legs (with a built in 33K ohm resistor) will this get hit with twice the voltage the LED wants to see?
You have to have exact partnumbers - and carefully watch them. But usually main parameters of circuit breakers, switches, AC inlets, ets (like rated voltage, ets) are printed directly on the part.
If your AC inlet have two fuses - it may be designed for USA standarts (and be only 125 V rated). In Europe, for example - we have only one 250V fuse.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.