Smart TV Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

Having not had a TV or cable in about a decade as I just use my laptop for shows/video etc, I'm curious about getting a so called Smart TV for a better sized picture.

Criteria: It has to have wifi to stream internet content as I still don't want cable services - I need a powered USB output to my DAC, like my laptop has - No 4K latest tech needed, old fashioned HD is just fine - no cell phone needed to operate.

Here's my questions:

1- Do you have to have a Smart Phone to operate a Smart TV? I don't own a cell phone and don't want one.

2- I'm not interested in the latest tech like 4K, old fashioned HD will more than do. Are there any that have a powered USB audio output so I can connect my DAC and run the sound through my stereo? Like how I can use my laptop right now with the USB out to DAC, then DAC via RCA's to Receiver?

Here's my DAC which I want to keep and the input on my receiver is only RCA:

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac-rev-b/

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
Yes, there are many HD TVs out there that will do what you want. Like mentioned, most if not all current smart TVs have wifi built in. You will need internet connection for the "smart" part of it. You can either connect wired or wireless. Most have a powered USB port
The only thing that I'm not sure about is audio through USB. From what I know, most of your audio out options from the TV would be HDMI, optical or coax.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What was said above. I'm doubtful that the USB ports on TVs support audio, an android set might if you can install the appropriate drivers from the google store. (No guarantees)

You haven't indicated budget or size of the set you are looking for.

720P/1080i/P HD receivers are going obsolete, most larger sets now support 4K and there is some 4K programming available from Netflix and on BD disks amongst others. I purchased a new Sony 43" 4K set this spring for $650.00 - five months on I stream mostly Netflix and a little Youtube. Also still have DTV SD satellite TV until the service is discontinued sometime in the not very distant future at which point I will sign up for their streaming service. Eventually I will also get an antenna for terrestrial HDTV.

CNET is a good resource for TV reviews. Hometheatershack forums is another place to look for this sort of information.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm not sure you can buy a smart TV without wifi these days. I used to have one on a wired connection, but that was years ago. Almost all have phone apps, but you don't have to use them.

The USB audio out is highly unlikely, as mentioned above. Most do have optical out that you could use.

Thanks for all the info guys! Yes wifi is a given for sure. I guess my worry was how do I hook it up to my stereo using my current DAC?, and also if you really might need a smart phone to use a smart tv etc.

I guess if I get a TV I'll just use the speakers it comes with and not worry about connecting it to my stereo. I just hoped I could use it the same way as I use my laptop currently to stream internet content like YT etc

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Find yourself a little DAC that will take optical in and connect that to the stereo.
Or find a TV with analog audio out (that's getting harder) and be sure that output is volume controlled by the TV remote if that's what you need. That is often a menu choice.

That would require a HDMI output and AFAIK TVs only have HDMI inputs.
There is a feature called return channel that would allow an audio signal being fed out at an input. However it must be supported at both ends.
Audio Return Channel (ARC)

ARC is an audio link meant to replace other cables between the TV and the A/V receiver or speaker system.[41] This direction is used when the TV is the one that generates or receives the video stream instead of the other equipment.[41] A typical case is the running of an app on a smart TV such as Netflix, but reproduction of audio is handled by the other equipment.[41] Without ARC, the audio output from the TV must be routed by another cable, typically TOSLink or coax, into the speaker system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#HDMI_Ethernet_and_Audio_Return_Channel

Last edited:
I have an LG Smart 3D TV. It works well via coaxial and HDMI. Internet also works but with some limitations. I mainly use the YouTube app.
When You connect via digital coax, analog out gets switched off. You can use an audio extractor to get audio out from HDMI, but be sure it supports 5.1, or it will be downmixed to stereo 2.0.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
..Do you have to have a Smart Phone to operate a Smart TV? I don't own a cell phone and don't want one....

Just FYI: TracFone will sell you a basic Android phone, and you do not have to activate it (it won't be a "phone", except maybe for 911). My last one was $29 delivered. I also got a $49 beast, but I like the cheapo for general use, the big one only occasionally. It surfs the Web via wifi, it maps me via GPS, I can watch videos and could probably play games. Deals vary, but today my town I am offered 26 phones from "free"(w/plan) to $450 iPhones. This is similar to what I got:

LG REBEL™ 3 LTE® (L158VL) RECONDITIONED -- $29.99
Save an additional 40% off phone, when purchased with a service plan.
Android™ 7.0 Nougat - DISPLAY: 5.0'' (480 x 854) Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 1.1GHz Quad-Core MSM8909 RAM: 2GB - Internal Memory: 16GB (up to 10GB usable) - microSD™ card support up to 32GB

You won't know what that gibberish means- Android 7 is 2 better than my Android 5, and AFAIK just means they moved things around and made some icons cuter. (There are real changes but not at my level of use.)

I have 3 phones and one plan, so only one can be "active" as a phone. Minor drawback: an inactive phone keeps popping-up and trying to activate. Dismiss a few times and it does it less.

Why a smart tv? If your laptop has video outputs (HDMI), just connect that up to your dumb TV, use whatever you are currently using for audio, and you're done....... 40" HD tv can be had for around $300 or so.

Thank you for all the info and replies everyone!

I think the idea from jplesset makes the best sense for me perhaps. A lot of the regular TV's that were just HD are at some pretty good deals, as the move is to 4K and such nowadays. Anyhow it's too bad these TV's don't seem to offer RCA audio out, or powered USB audio out etc just to cover most all options for people..

Cheer's Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.