Sony amping up the headphone wars

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Discouraged that most of its cans were being sold in supermarkets, Sony is engaging a major effort to build its presence in the upper-mid region of the headphone market:

Sony Changes Tune on Headphones to Challenge Bose, Apple’s Beats - WSJ

The premium-price headphone market has been largely dominated by Bose, the industry pioneer popular with frequent fliers, and Beats, the fashion-savvy brand acquired by Apple Inc. ... for $3 billion in 2014. All share the challenge of wooing listeners who already get free earbuds with their smartphones.

Sony said in May it has 11% of the headphone market in terms of revenue, the third-largest slice. It didn’t name the top two companies.

The audio business—where Sony has been a player since the 1950s—is a prime example of how it got back to profitability in recent years, even in a traditional hardware business that once looked like a lost cause. For the year that ended in March, sales for the audio unit rose for the first time in 20 years after having fallen some 80% from the peak.

If I was Sony, I'd exploit the enduring reputation of the 7506 'phones. Don't mess with the sound, just offer them with various sorts of bling, limited and designer versions, etc. It's strange that Sony continues to make those headphones for decades but only sells them to the semi/pro audio market.

I used to have a series of pairs of cheapish Sony "in-the-ear", "over-the -head" headphones that were perfect for anything other than HiFi.

Unfortunately the wires had a habit of getting pulled out or the headband snapped. Rather than making a few minor modifications to an essentially good design, Sony stopped manufacturing them.

I have never found as useful a pair of mini headphones since, I don't want to wear cans all the time and earbuds simply don't work in my ears :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.