LED phosphor coating fell off the LED die!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep! exactly what the title says. I tapped it gently with a screwdriver (BARELY. not putting any kind force on it.) And it just popped off! bond wires and all! leaving behind the reflector soldered to the PCB
I had a warm white LED running (there are 3 in parallel resistor arrangement on a USB stick shaped USB plug thing.)
been using it as a nightlight.. Now just noticed one LED went out.
I set it on my desk and as i did. the entire yellow phospher coating fell off in one piece! Including the rest of the bond wires going to the LED material that makes the light..
I pressed it back in. and if I hold my finger there and let go. it'll stay lit for a few moments.. What in the world. how could this even happen??
Its a surface mount chip.
I already suspected this LED since the very bottom edge was ever so slightly melted (not affecting operating or anything just cosmetic burn from soldering or something)
Now thats just strange.. i even took the phospher coating off. set it on my desk fiddled with it.
and then proceeded to probe the inner surfaces of the LED die (not on the phospher coating but on the surface mount component part of the LED still soldered on) all in it.. and then put the phospher coating back on and it still works sort of..

Is this the strangest LED failure ever?

Well I tried bending the PCB slightly its thin and has a metal backing probably aluminum so its got a slight curve to it.. Now the LED is "fixed" and staying lit.. Ive heard of LED's dying but never coming back to life! Weird!
Edit: new record going on for several minutes and the LED is still going even after having the phospher coating fall out along with the bond wires and part of the LED die!

Last edited:
No idea at all.
And it doesn't work without the phosphor because the actual LED die that generates light is merged with the phosphor including the bond wires going to it

underneath is just the reflector and conductor to conduct current to the LED die and reflect the light forwards.

it doesnt work when I put the phospher thing back into the reflector backwards. so at least I know which way to put it in.

and the LED was upside down too. so no light was being reflected forwards. most of it was towards my face.

It probably was made in china.

it's not the best design. could be better.

Welp i gave up on trying to fix it and just left it alone with 1 dead LED its not really any less bright than before. still works as a nightlight just fine.

Also bought a "real" flashlight that can run on three AAA's or one LI ION and its super stupidly bright. You can see the beam reflecting off the clouds in the sky if i focus it to a point!

Also the LED chip seems to be dotted in a grid pattern with a grid pattern of black dots?
Do you think it's many LED's in parallel crammed into one chip?
There is two bond wires only going to one side of the chip.

The covering feels very rubbery and grippy thats covering the LED chip. Wonder what its made of? some kind of clear rubbery material.

I'll link it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JUNGJ2U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I know where it says 1000 lumens is a bullfaced lie but it's pretty good and bright. Enormously better than any other standard flashlight ive used.
Maybe with a wide beam it outputs 200 to 600 lumens
and focused to a point maybe its concentrated to 1000 lumens in that point but not 1000 lumens spread out thats for sure.

I find it runs brighter for longer off of a LI ION

but I can use it with three NIMH AAA 600mAh LSD rechargeables really well too. very versatile flashlight. It needs protection circuitry though because it doesnt cut off when a LI ION gets low.
The beam stays strong the whole time though.

The other flashlight I had was similarly bright but it had a lot of problems.

Somehow I find it strange three 600mAh AAA NIMH's last only slightly less than a 2,200mAh LI ION in this same flashlight.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.