Mass storage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is the response I got from wbt regarding an enquiry as to what mass storage is in relation to their new range of Next Gen connectors,

"Dear Mr. Edwards
Many thanks for your e-mails sent to Mr. Brinsa 2016/07/05 resp. 2016/09/08 who asked me to answer your question.
I will try, but at first I must beg you to apologize the excessive delay of my response.

But now: what means mass storage effect?
This term was created as a working subtitle when we started the development of our nextgen series, wherein we summarized all the physically based disadvantages concerning the transmission quality of the standard massive connector elements the elimination or at least reducing we aimed at.
The transmission of electrical signals is defined by the parameters R (Ohm), L (Henry), and C (Farad) sometimes the length of the transmission element is meaningful.
The elements with storing properties are L (for the current i) and C (for the voltage u) with some more complex influence on signal transmission.
The mass related property for L is the volume of the element, which is responsible for eddy currents, self/mutual inductance, and loop width creating active and passive coupling.
All these negative features grow with the volume resp. mass. The decreasing R on the other hand is not a benefit.
The mass related property for C is the surface of the element, which is responsible for the capacity, ground capacity, active and passive coupling, also negative features growing with mass.
The increasing impossibility of fitting the impedance properties of big mass connector elements to commonly used cables is another aspect..
The only mass storage effect without electrical relation we also considered is the unneeded deposition of valuable metals

You see, ‘mass storage effects’ has several aspects and is merely to be defined by a physical dimension. Up to now we did not find to any conflict with existing use of this term so we adopted it for use in our releases.

I hope that I met your exspectations.

Kind regards

Dr. Fritz-Jürgen Reich "

? funny isn't it, especially regards to audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.