New full range system in a box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2014
So 8 months on my experience is still on the whole good except the top is to sharp, easily knocked off by reducing the treble two notches (2dB) but the worst problem is the bottom end is gutless!! This takes a long time to figure in a home environment with this as I have tried very hard to avoid comparisons with my once huge PA that truly generated acoustic wind at low frequencies!!
Its very very hard to get any meaningful info out f companies such as EV anymore, not just because there owned buy Bosch but the modern fashion all tech companies get away with is hide everything from the customer, when the internet 1st arrived in the 80's it was a godsend but now most company sites are just commercial only (rant).
So I bought myself a cheap chinese soundmeter and produced my own response plots showing there was no meaningful output below 80hZ hence the lack of acoustic wind!
Further reverse engineering of the cabinet shows it to be ported and obviously the chinese ev driver (evs-12k) for which there is NO information is short throw, maybe xmax ~3mm using the excellent UNIBOX spreadsheet its possible to produce a simulation that roughly approximates the measured performance. Given the ? driver and nature of the cabinet no amount of tinkering with the DSP can hope to improve matters, in short a SUB is required to compliment the EV ZLX-12P to get anything below 80hZ!!

Usually, 12-inch PA loudspeaker do not has enough low frequency extension (18" subwoofers were invented just because of that).
Did you check DSP mode? It should be on "music" (or even "club"), not "live". Even with these settings, there is nothing below 50 Hz.

Disabled Account
Joined 2014
Hello Sonce thank you for your reply and I agree with you to a certain extent, I did once own a rig with 4*18" Colossus at the bottom end BUT times have moved on and if XMAX is large enough a 12" can also produce a lot of acoustic power at LF see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...c-sub-110db-zlx12p-extension.html#post4407350 sorry I dont know how to include other threads here !!
I chose the ZLX because I thought it was a sealed enclosure using the DSP to provide extension using raw power with a large xmax driver, sadly I have only recently discovered the well hidden port, had I looked at the impedance plot of the passive version more closely to begin with it would have been obvious, hindsight is a wonderful thing!! still you get what you pay for right :)
Yes I use the DSP music setting but even a DSP cannot defeat physical limitations :)
IMOP the cutoff is 80hZ, not 50!!
All around I am not displeased with it BUT along with its competitors and just about everything else in today;s audio market it is severely over hyped, only comparative listening trials (try before you buy) can overcome this but as I live far from the maddening crowd such luxuries are not available to me :)
Ohh just one other thing size does not confer good performance, many of the commercial 18 & 15 inch subs I looked at were cr*p acoustically speaking :)
Once again thanks for sharing your opinion :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.