Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Fancy Interconnects?  How about a potato, or even mud?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2016, 01:42 PM   #351
davym is offline davym  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I think there should be a dedicated section for cable/connector discussions with this thread at the top as a sticky. Non believers can then avoid it and all the endless arguments it contains.
Old 13th December 2017, 04:41 PM   #352
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I saw this, and thought of..................

Broadband over 'wet string' tested for fun - BBC News
Old 13th December 2017, 06:14 PM   #353
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

They should have tried using a banana.
Old 13th December 2017, 06:26 PM   #354
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Absolutely Never let it be said that diyAudio is not at the cutting edge. We got there first.
Old 13th December 2017, 07:44 PM   #355
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

100% organic audio, yes.

Quote:
The firm does not believe there is a way to exploit the finding.
Oh I have already found a way. Rain or moisture detector. Or unauthorized data transmission where metal wires are not available / not allowed. Maybe develop an antenna out of it too?

...I think I'm starting to understand why our government suppresses the availability of education.
Old 13th December 2017, 07:45 PM   #356
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Not just yours, all over the world they know the score.
Old 2nd September 2018, 10:57 PM   #357
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The test was a lot of fun. Not too many people were willing to take the test or post the results.
Here is a summary of the first round:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
A= potato left, banana right
B= original file
C= loop with good quality copper cable (Canare GS-6)
D= mud (bucket of mud on left, trough of mud on right)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
In the end I can't reliably tell any difference between any of the tracks
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17 View Post
I believe A is the original. Maybe C.
No, I'm staying with A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Really quickly ran them through my laptop speakers, expecting to hear something different immediately.
I honestly couldn't tell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Initial impressions... and there's not much in it so at the risk of making a total plonker of myself,

A) The best with the most consistent imaging and best "hf" detail. Sharply focused image.

B) Generally excellent, with good timbre but image seemed to be biased to the left (very very slightly).

C) This was the one I couldn't pin down. Something about the vocals and the vocal image varying "in height" yet a good overall image.

D) This was the worst with almost a "forced" quality, a poor image and an underlying weird kind of distortion (a coarseness) to the vocals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
...using Sennheiser HD598 headphones via a unity gain headphone amp, I'm surprised I could hear much difference at all. But version A was clearly better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannoo View Post
Listening through Sony MDR-1R on a laptop.
If you held a gun to my head I'd say A and D were a little dull, but the difference is so minor it could be psychological
Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Nice set of files, Pano ... pretty obvious, C is the original - on a quick listen with Audacity, on the PC speakers. All the others are degraded to some degree, interesting how much the straight DA/AD loop damaged the sound so much ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
A - copper
B - mud
D - food
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannoo View Post
I'd bet C is the conversion loop, B is the original.
Review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Mooly
A: Best
B: Excellent
C: Hard to pin down
D: Worst

Dirkwright
A: Best (original)

fas42
A: copper
B: mud
C: original
D: food

nanoo
B: original
C: copper

Scott17
A: original

wintermute
can't tell the difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeaj View Post
Preliminary listen... can't tell any difference (yet) except for D having those glitches where it cuts out briefly. I'm guessing potato/banana on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Pano, great idea, great fun, first couple of runs on my computer system did not reveal any obvious differences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I'm sure you can get a difference in DiffMaker (the flac files should convert easily), the more interesting question is whether or not you can actually hear a difference. After all, if there's night and day audible differences between copper and silver or PVC and Teflon, you'd think that banana/potato vs copper or mud ought to be blatantly evident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
Well. I'm fooled. If I had to call it, I'd say D was the original, but I strongly suspect that is just me kidding myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
I could convince myself that any one of those are the originals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Today, first think after waking up, before coffee, was listening to the flac files through AKG240 headphones.
Initially I said A,D,C,B in terms of presence.
After the second listening, I wasnít sure for the order of difference.
Then I listened to them many times in random order. I canít say there is a difference, let alone any order.
The more I listen to them, the more I canít tell one from the other (except through the glitch on D)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioLapDance View Post
A - CD
B - mud
C - potato
D - copper
A few did a pretty good job, but no one said it was glaringly obvious. Molly is usually good at these tests.
Considering the mediums used and all the digital fixing I had to do to some of the files, the small differences were surprising.

I will soon reboot this test with a cleaner signal flow that doesn't introduce so much noise. The noise was a big give away in the second round. Coffee, Coke and wine do not make good cables. Mud and vegetables, not too bad.
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:23 AM   #358
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

It is a pity that almost everyone who tried has such a poor system (or poor ears) that they could not hear much difference. 8-)
Old 3rd September 2018, 01:31 PM   #359
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes. And the even bigger disappointment is that with over 33,000 thread views so few actually took the test and posted results.

Perhaps the test proves that people greatly prefer to talk about cable differences rather than work to find them.

Fancy Interconnects?  How about a potato, or even mud?Hide this!Advertise here!