Are solid state systems really changed/upset/disturbed by vibration?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How much is "really"?

If it is measurable but cannot be reliably heard, there will be those who say yes.

If it is not measurable, there will be those who don't trust measurements and believe that the ear is more sensitive, who say yes.

Bottom line - people will always believe something they want to believe.

In-car computers... if my ears process data more precisely than an Atom N270 then I can argue that the car engine disturbs the integrity of signal at the extent that a microprocessor still works while an audio amplifier doesn't.

I remember Sony some years ago in they're advertisement of one line claimed that their PCB were angled at about 5° to get rid of some of this parasitic phenomenon ,sort of a standing wave happening inside electronic enclosures. With a good chassis /pieces assembling I think it could be neglected.
Same approach but with many magnitude above HAPPENS inside cabinets ,so if the XO is placed inside the box ,same care must be taken to ensure the components,specially caps and coils, to be vibration proof.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
From the web site of Douglas Self:

"Microphony is essentially something that happens in sensitive valve preamplifiers. If it happens in solid-state power amplifiers the level is so far below the noise it is effectively non-existent. Experiments on this sort of thing are rare (if not unheard of) and so I offer the only scrap of evidence I have. Take a microphone preamp operating at a gain of +70 dB, and tap the input capacitors (assumed electrolytic) sharply with a screwdriver; the preamp output will be dull thump, at low level. The physical impact on the electrolytics (the only components that show this effect) is hugely greater than that of any acoustic vibration; and I think the effect in power amps, if any, must be so vanishingly small that it could never be found under the inherent circuit noise."

Crossovers inside the speaker box are a special case. You do need to prevent the parts from vibrating around, but the reason to do so is so they don't break off the board. Anyone working in pro audio can tell you that that is not a rare occurance.

There are no moving parts inside of solid state devices. Except maybe the electrons. The mass of an electron is 9,109 382 15(45) * 10^-31 kg. The mass of a chipamp is what, 10 gramms? That equals 10-2 kg. It's 1,1 * 10^28 times heavier than an electron! As heavy mass equals inert mass, the electrons will move MUCH faster than the chipamp. So at such low frequencies as mechanic vibrations, the effect is not observable in any way known to mankind. As another example, the mass ratio proton/electron is 1834. Electrons will have moved a long time before the single proton of a hydrogen atom did, so atomic nuclei can be assumed as stationary in any case when it comes to electronic [in the sense of regarding electrons] "movements".
Also, the thermal noise by far outweights any noise possibly created through mechnical vibrations "acting" on electrons... As temperature equals kinetic energy, which IS movement, one should rather look in cooling solid state devices.

The brief answer is No, our equipement at work is basicaly communications in high vibration situations. The only problem we have is components coming loose from the board occasionaly, when not secured properly.
That said it is good engineering practice to minimise the exposure of any equipement to vibration.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.