5.1 connector standard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there :)

I've searched the net for days now to find the standard for the 3.5mm TRS jackconnectors for 5.1 surround sound.

TRS 1 is front
TRS 2 is rear
TRS 3 is sub/center

Nothing new there.
But how are they connected?
I assume that Sleeve is GND as usual on all 3, but how about Tip and Ring. How are they assigned????

I found this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It is for 7.1 channel
Where:
1. Line Out 1 jack
2. Line Out 2 jack
3. Line Out 3 jack
4. Front Left
5. Front Right
6. Ground
7. Rear Left
8. Rear Right
9. Ground
10. Side Right
11. Center
12. Subwoofer
13. Ground
14. Side Left

I would assume that for 5.1 system
9 and 10 are merging into ground
Same for 13 and 14

domtw said:
Hello,
For stereo jacks, I know the ring is for the right channel, the tip for the left one and the sleeve is for ground.
I guess that it will be the same for the surround channels.
I don't know for the center/sub connector...
You assume wrong. The jacks have 3 rings and the ground it is NOT the last sleeve/ring. Cables are identical with the ones for analog video out in camcorders. For example in Creative cards looks like this:
Line Out 1 it is stereo.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Line Out 2 is configured as: Rear Left, Rear Right, and Side Right

Line Out 3 is configured as: Front Center, Subwoofer, and Side Left

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.