Creativity vs. Protected Stuff. Talk by Prof. Larry Lessig, Stanford University

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Creativity vs. Copyright & protective laws in our Our Common World.
How creativity is being strangled by the law
Speech 2007 by Prof. Larry Lessig, Stanford University USA

Available - for free for everybody - in one internet Video.
19 minutes of interesting information, opinion:
How creativity is being strangled by the law

About this talk
Larry Lessig, the Net’s most celebrated lawyer, cites John Philip Sousa, celestial copyrights and the "ASCAP cartel" in his argument for reviving our creative culture.

About Larry Lessig
Stanford professor Larry Lessig is one of our foremost authorities on copyright issues, with a vision for reconciling creative freedom with marketplace competition. Full bio and more links »
Hope this will give me & you some things to think about.
And give some ones a friendly push to change some of their doings.

Lineup - Audio regards, in the open of the public eye & ear
http://lineupaudio.freehostia.com/forum

;)

Bob,

It is obvious "we" aren't riding on the same bus...as we are (err, one is) able to get on or off at will...and I was concerned I would touch that very nerve in someone...no offense intended.

Back on topic...I think Prof. Lessig makes a valid yet subtle point about what is to be done with "creation". If one follows the capitalist model in the path of ASCAP then everything has a price on it.

Now, if creation generates stuff where there was none, where do you put it? I conclude that it is only by giving away a significant portion of it to maintain space within which to place new stuff. A balance has to be maintained or creation will choke itself off.

This brings me back to the point I think Lessig makes about the responsibility of artists (or engineers, scientists, tinkerers or creators) in shifting the model for exchange of their creations. The artist is in control of their work and has the best position from which to influence its exchange.

Do they hold on to it...or let it go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.