Tiny PC system install

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi after reading the post link

I am wondering how to completely wipe the partitions on the hard drive, users Pinkmouse & Gfinlayson seemed to be able to figure out how to format the tiny pc hard drive, but they dont say in the post how they did it.

does anyone know how to get round the "block" on the hard disk so that i can install another copy of windows on the hard disk rather than using the recovery disk supplied by tiny

If you have a cd copy of winxp and the correct code, it's easy.

Boot from the cd

You will get to a screen which asks about repair, reinstall etc

choose options to delete existing partition and then reformat and reinstall xp

get drivers off the net.

Andy

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
When Graeme did mine, he used some sort of command line utility to delete the partition and reformat the HD with just one partition. Sorry, I can't remember what it was called, but at a guess, it looks like Andy's linked programme will do the same thing.

Oh, and my mum did end up with the iBook. :)

Just as an aside on Maxllf

It is a very useful utility from Maxtor but works with many other brands of drive.

I use it from a floppy with win98 DOS.

It performs a 'proper' low level format on the drive and remaps any bad sectors to the 'hidden' table.

If the drive has bad sectors and maxllf cannot remap them, the drive really is scrap.

Andy

poynton said:
Just as an aside on Maxllf

It is a very useful utility from Maxtor but works with many other brands of drive.

I use it from a floppy with win98 DOS.

It performs a 'proper' low level format on the drive and remaps any bad sectors to the 'hidden' table.

If the drive has bad sectors and maxllf cannot remap them, the drive really is scrap.

Andy

Technically speaking you cannot do a true "low level format" on modern drives. The correct term is "Reinitialization" which can be done by zero-filling the hard drive.

If you have a drive with known bad sectors I suggest a program called "HDD Regenerator". This program will actually try to physically restore bad sectors instead of just sweeping them under the rug so to speak.

A good zero-fill tool improperly labeled as a low-level formatter is "HDGURU HDD Low Level Format Tool".

theAnonymous1 said:

Technically speaking you cannot do a true "low level format" on modern drives. The correct term is "Reinitialization" which can be done by zero-filling the hard drive.

If you have a drive with known bad sectors I suggest a program called "HDD Regenerator". This program will actually try to physically restore bad sectors instead of just sweeping them under the rug so to speak.

All hard drives are low level formatted before leaving the factory and the bad sectors are remapped with spare sectors. So, in a sense, yes, the bad sectors are "swept under the carpet". This happens as all new hard drives have bad sectors.

As for repairing with dollar bills... recycle, reuse, repair
Use the warranty service provided by the manufacturer.

Andy

poynton said:

All hard drives are low level formatted before leaving the factory and the bad sectors are remapped with spare sectors.

Yes, but what I meant is YOU cannot do a true low level format.

poynton said:
So, in a sense, yes, the bad sectors are "swept under the carpet". This happens as all new hard drives have bad sectors.

Yes, but why hide them if there is a chance they can be repaired. Besides, a hard drive has a limited remapping ability and will run out of "spare sectors" sooner or later so it is better to try and fix them.

theAnonymous1 said:

Yes, but why hide them if there is a chance they can be repaired.

Maxllf has several tries at recovering the bad sector before reallocating a spare.

You can see this happening.

I believe most hard drives have about 5-10% spare capacity.
( In "the good old days", it was common practice to take a 20Mb drive up to 23/24Mb by reformatting it.)

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.